Type of Seizures I'm having?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

KelVarQ

New
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm curious about these seizures I've been having, mainly one type which I don't know what they are since they're not the normal ones I have now or ever had, so they're kind of scaring me and I've only had them 3x since surgery. Had the RTL surgery 4yrs. ago and now have small seizures only in my sleep, at least right now only in my sleep. Although 95% of my seizures have always been during sleep except for the 100's of small auras I use to get during the day (not 100 a day but maybe total). I'll do my best to explain the two types I'm having now and any input would be greatly appreciated.

1st type: (In my sleep) my body appears "restless" and only my left arm bangs. Lasts for a few moments and my husband presses that dent below my nose and it stops it. (This one doesn't scare me and is pretty much the normal one I'm now having). Not a gran mal since my whole body isn't convulsing.

2nd type: (I'm thinking during transition of falling into sleep and I've only had this one 3x total). It's as if an alarm clock goes off (really loud) and it's like inbetween stations (semi static). It freaks me out since it wakes me right up and I look around only to find out it's my own brain. It only last for a second or two but it's alarming because A. it wakes me right up because it is loud B. An alarm clock is obviously startling C. Then realizing it's my brain and it's like I'm literally hearing my brain short circuit.

Can anyone tell me what type of seizures these are and if they've experienced the 2nd type I'm having. I'm assuming this is a type of seizure, but again I'm not familiar with this kind. I'm even familiar with the gran mals (although I think there's a new name for them ?) and even the ones where you feel paralyzed in bed but you're awake. But this 2nd type I'm now having is new territory for me and I guess, for whatever it's worth, it would be nice to have a label to it so I know it's per se' normal or at least normal in the world of epilepsy.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

The new name for grand-mal is a tonic-clonic. And regarding your second one (the "alarm clock" one), I can relate to that. I think it's a simple partial seizure. I have them around the same time you do during sleep. However, when I have them, it's usually followed by a grand-mal seconds later.

I have something similar- but its not a seizure- or I've never been told it was. Sometimes as we fall asleep, your body might "check in" and startle you awake. Sometimes if you have too much caffein- it too could case you to get a sudden burst of adrinoline or energy. Sort of like when your brain is tired and your body isnt?
I've noticed sound becoming loud, almost like a gun going off in the room- but usally its becuase I notice when my body is just about to sleep deeper and your body takes over. Your body is constantly keeping track of things, listening to your environments or sounds even though your going through the sleeping process.
I would look into the stages or sleep, what can happen as you fall asleep and maybe get some idea there.
I was always told its more of your nerves settling down and you don't quite stay asleep as your brain takes over to work while you sleep..
I hope it makes sense-
I wish you luck in finding whats causing your troubles..

Take care, and be safe
Crystal

Back
Top Bottom