Unraveling Epileptogenesis - Presented by Epilepsy Foundation

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

brain

Account Closed
Inactive
Reaction score
What causes epilepsy to develop in some people
but not others?

Why is it that an isolated seizure in one person
can be just that — a one-time aberration — while in
another person it triggers a worsening progression
of symptoms?

What’s going on in the brain during this measured march
toward the brain state of over-activation that we call
epilepsy? Read more by clicking on the banner below
(will open a new window) - presented by the
Epilepsy Foundation.

Again they focus on drugs as a solution. If the brain can learn how to seize, it can learn how *not* to seize. Instead of looking for interventions to block the learning process, they should focus on methods to guide the learning in the other direction with CBT or EEG neurofeedback IMO. :twocents:

I agree with Bernard,

I'm going to be changing a few things around my house diet being the first... back to organic and trying some of the gard diet with a few changes....

Im done with epilepsy.... I'm going to kick its A** 's right now

love angel

I agree with Bernard,

Im done with epilepsy.... I'm going to kick its A** 's right now

love angel

Yup - Angel, I think you've got piles
of people who are right behind you, in
front of you, beside you, all around you,
in the same boat!

;)

Hi,
I agree with Bernard that drugs are not the solution. Boy do I ever, especially considering that I am currently on three of them. IMHO, if I could reduce to an absolute minimum the drugs I take for epilepsy, I could probably use what I have learned (so to speak) to get off of even that minimum, and then get off the anti-depressant I have been on for way too many years. That would leave me with one "drug," and that is not a drug. That would be nice.
I really like the concept and couldn't agree more with the statement that
"if the brain can learn how to seize, then it can learn how NOT to seize."
renee

There may be an option for you

Hi,
I agree with Bernard that drugs are not the solution. Boy do I ever, especially considering that I am currently on three of them. IMHO, if I could reduce to an absolute minimum the drugs I take for epilepsy, I could probably use what I have learned (so to speak) to get off of even that minimum, and then get off the anti-depressant I have been on for way too many years. That would leave me with one "drug," and that is not a drug. That would be nice.
I really like the concept and couldn't agree more with the statement that
"if the brain can learn how to seize, then it can learn how NOT to seize."
renee

Hi Renee,
Nice to see you back, posting and composing (yea!). Here's a link to a website on using the Atkins diet for seizure control. Their daughter was in a study at Johns Hopkins and really has improved using the diet. Something to check out.

Atkins for Seizures-Managing Epilepsy with the Atkins DietAfter four years and six different anti-seizure medications that didn't help our daughter, we discovered Dr. Eric Kossoff and the Atkins Diet for Seizures. ...
http://www.atkinsforseizures.com

Cheers
:)

Back
Top Bottom