[Ketogenic] Update On Evan

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

momofevan

New
Reaction score
:woot:

Just wanted to give you all an update on Evan. We started the ketogenic diet on August 2. He is doing fabulous!!!!! He went 3 weeks without any seizures. We decided to wean keppra because my husband and I could no longer tolerate the behavior issues the med was causing. During the second week of the wean, Evan had 3 seizures, but it has now been almost 3 weeks since we have seen his last seizure!!!!

We just had his first keto clinic on tuesday and all his labs look great. The only thing at this point that we are really concerned with is his speech, as he does have a bit of a speech delay (expressivly). We are now going to start him in speech therapy and hopefully with time we can correct his speech.

Starting this diet has been the best decision we have made for him..it has not been an "easy ride", but it is so worth every ounce of effort we have put forth!!!!

That's so terrific! Thanks for the update, it's great to hear the good news.

woooohoooooo

yeah for all of you!!!!! :clap::clap::woot::woot: Keep it up!!!

that's wonderful!! Hope you are now in for a seizure free ride!!:woot:

Rebecca as a young child had speech delay. She did speech therapy through her school from age three through the 5th grade. I remember one day asking her as a young child if we could play the quiet game in the car.

I have read that there are some vitamin and or mineral supplements that help with speech. It is DMG. Dymethylglycine which also improves the effectiveness of B6

Last edited:
I am so glad to read this! I do know what a difference this diet can bring for our children, each day I'm gratefull for the chance my son was given thanx to the ketogenic diet.
Just like you we saw an immediate postive effect in the first few weeks and just like you we weaned of meds and saw breakthrough seizures because of reducing the meds. The diet works best without any meds and since he's off all meds we've seen his cognitive development improve more and more.
This diet is not easy at all but it really is worth all efforts when it works, that's for sure! We're doing the diet for over six years now and it had become just as normal as cooking regular meals. Our son's appetite only got better on the diet.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom