Upping medication

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Phils mum

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 28yr old non verbal ASD son who developed epilepsy at 19 yr. Its been a rolleg coaster with different medications but basically nothing really controls his seizures, currently he has 2 to 3 a day.
At present he is on tegretol, keppra, vimpat - we ended up on 3 due to trying to change meds & it went horribly wrong.
Neurologist wants me to just keep putting meds up but the more we go up the worse the seizures seem to be, does this happen? Does it get worse before it gets better, we are nervous to go up to max. on all 3 meds (we are about half way with all 3 at present).
Any thoughts / insight much appreciated

If the seizures are getting worse instead better then the meds shouldn't be increased. There might even be a chance that they aren't the right meds for him. When I was first diagnosed I tried a lot of different meds. I am currently three different ones right now. In the beginning when my neuro was trying to find out the meds that were best for me. Depending on how they worked, I was either taken off of them if they weren't helping with my seizures or staying on them if they did.

I would defiantly discuss this with your neuro and let him know what's going on. Some changes should be made.

Back
Top Bottom