Upset with action at hospital

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

tinasmom

New
Reaction score
I work at our local hospital and today there was an incident in Labor and Delivery. Apparently the father to be had a seizure in the shower. What happened next totally shocked me. They actually restrained him to the bed. Of course when I heard what happened, I was appalled. I was told that he was combative and yelling. Another woman in the room (not sure if it's his mother or hers) said that this has happened before and they don't know what's wrong with him. I so badly wanted to find that family and suggest that they see a Neurologist. Of course because of confidentality, I could not do this. I did call the program director of our local Epilepsy Foundation and told her that I was going to try to get her in there for seizure training. This really puts my trust in these people.

I work at our local hospital and today there was an incident in Labor and Delivery. Apparently the father to be had a seizure in the shower. What happened next totally shocked me. They actually restrained him to the bed. Of course when I heard what happened, I was appalled. I was told that he was combative and yelling. Another woman in the room (not sure if it's his mother or hers) said that this has happened before and they don't know what's wrong with him. I so badly wanted to find that family and suggest that they see a Neurologist. Of course because of confidentality, I could not do this. I did call the program director of our local Epilepsy Foundation and told her that I was going to try to get her in there for seizure training. This really puts my trust in these people.
OMW!!! I can't believe these people! Are we really still living in the Dark Ages? Maybe I'm just naive....or lucky...I don't know but that's just INSANE........

What position do you hold at the hospital, BTW??

I am a secretary in the facilities department. I work with all our clinics and hospitals. I have many functions such as working with Security, Safety, Bio-med and communications.

I was fortunately able to convince the EMTs on Stacy's last ride to the ER not to tie her down on a backing board. I think that is likely why she aspirated the previous time she was taken.

This is a good thing to know, as you typically believe they know what they are doing.

It's the combativeness that's the problem! My friend is a diabetic and when he has episodes of his blood sugers dropping to 40 or less he becomes beligerant and combative then goes into a seizure like state. He cannot control his actions, nor is he really aware of what HE is doing.

The last time I called the EMTs out, he was in an agitated state and the police were the first to arrive. They were waiting for the explosive combativeness to happen.

The problem is most people don't know how to deal with a situation like that. Sometimes it's not a seizure, but some drug induce parnoia and EVERYONE is in danger. It's sad to think they had to restrain him but it was not only for HIS safety but fot the safety of others as well. I am not condoning what they did, as I didn't witness the situation, but I know if Metro had tried to restrain my friend, I would have interviened! I can get him to respond when NO ONE else can. Somewhere in the back of his mind, a tiny bit of rationality still exsists even when he is in that state and when he hears my voice, he tries to comply.

Here's an update on what happened yesterday. Apparently the nurse said that he was out of the seizure, but was incoherent and became combative when someome grabbed him to keep him in the room. When our TACT team was restraining him (before they restrained him to the bed), he was yelling at them. By the time they got him to the ER, he was coherent again.

I also would have been there witnessing what happened to have a definate opinion on this action.
I do know that my Uncle David, who drowned at the age of 26 due to drowning because of a grandmal seizure he was swimming in the river and went into the seizure, 3 guys got him out the first time, he then started fighting them to let him go and they did and he jumped back into the river and they could not find him the second time. So I guess in an incident such as that I would definetly agree to hold that person down to prevent self injury or worse.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom