Using Facebook

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Can anyone point me out to where I can find good epilepsy awareness images? I want to do my part and change my facebook avatar to help promote awareness...been searching online for a good photo but haven't seen anything that I really like yet.

I meant to post my facebook status hours ago but home with the flu and 2 kids with it too.

We no longer use the terms Grand and Petite Mal. Grand became Tonic Clonic and Petite was broken down to Simple Partial and Complex Partial years ago. Then this summer the ILAE reclassified everything. I guess we'll be calling them Generalized and Focal. Yes even Dr's still use the old terms.

I have

FOUR 20-something-year-olds in my house you can have that are ALL taking their turns at being sick, Flinnigan. Wanna share? Or anyone else for that matter?? They're DRIVING ME NUTS!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :cry: :roll: :loco: *pulling out hair*

Really.

I know, I was shocked when I heard that. However, I have heard it from multiple sources and believe it to be true.

Todays Facebook status

Epilepsy is a devastating neurological disease characterized by abnormal brain activity and recurring seizures, which affects 1 out of every 100 people. That's 3 million Americans and 50 million men, women and children worldwide—more than multiple sclerosis, cerebral palsy, muscular dystrophy, and Parkinson's disease combined.

Breast cancer was actually only the 7 leading cause of death in American woman according to the CDC 2005 stats.

1 Heart Disease 329,238
2 Cerebrovascular diseases(Stroke) 86,993
3 Lung and bronchus cancer 69,078
4 Chronic lower respiratory disease 68,497
5 Alzheimer's disease 51,039
6 Accidents 41,426
7 Breast cancer 41,116
8 Diabetes 38,581
9 Influenza and pneumonia 34,949
10 Septicemia Not reported

I've been bad here are the rest so far.

Driving laws vary State by State but most require a person to be 6 months seizure free. Most are voluntary also. Does the honor system work well probably not. As hard as it is to stop driving it would be much harder living with the knowledge that you killed someones mommy, daddy or worst of all child.

Every year, it is estimated that up to 50,000 deaths occur in the United States from seizure-related causes including accidental deaths and Sudden Unexplained Death from Epilepsy (SUDEP). The mortality rate among people with epilepsy is two to three times higher than the general population and the risk of sudden death is twenty-four times greater

Michigan State Rep. John Espinoza and State Sen. John Gleason recently introduced HB 4408 and SB 318, respectively. These bills, if passed, would prevent pharmacists from switching medication for epilepsy, whether from brand to generic, generic to brand, or between products manufactured by different generic pharmaceutical makers, without the consent of the patient and the physician.

The Epilepsy Foundation, along with other leading epilepsy organizations, supports increased public awareness of H1N1 Virus risks for young children with epilepsy. The CDC in Atlanta reports that 477 people in the U.S. had died from H1N1, including 36 children, as of August 8th, 2009. Nearly 70 percent of these children had chronic high-risk medical conditions such as epilepsy, cerebral palsy or developmental delay.

oh lord i have a dumb question yet again haha. i get my scripts at a military hospital and there arent pink lids... what r the pink lids for?? breast cancer awareness right? so your arguement is that they should make purple ones for this month? i just wanna make sure im getting this right

flinnigan;

i am with you sister! Jesus, i get tired of hearing about breast cancer month. More importantly, there is something really wrong with this country that we have to have months out of the year dedicated to diseases. between the chemicals in our food, and big pharma., we are bombarded with poison. correct me if i am wrong, but epilepsy has been on the scene for a long time, breast cancer is more or less the new kid on the block, yes? So is the stigma still keeping us off the map? If E is so prevalent, and elderly in origin, then what is keeping us out of the limelight?:ponder:

The pink lids came from walgreens. My big issue with that is a Pharmacy shouldn't advertise for one cause over all the thousands they dispense meds for. I also can't quite grasp how a disease that is only the 7 leading cause of death among American women gets so much attention and money. My feeling is they are preying on womens fears about there bodies. It all comes down to how they can make the most money.

Back
Top Bottom