Using your VNS and not coughing

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

valeriedl

VIP
Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure how many people have a VNS and can relate to this.

If I use my VNS when I'm not having a seizure I'll get a really bad tingle in my throat and start coughing like crazy. This is something normal.

I very rarely have an aura but there are times that I get a feeling like a seizure might be coming on. When I use the magnet for the VNS I don't notice the tingle and don't have any coughing. I may have to use it once or twice, no tingle either time, but the seizure feeling goes away.

Does this happen with anyone else? Is it possible that a seizure was coming on and I stopped it?

I have a VNS. Fought with the VA for 1.5 years and finally got it. At first I had it on a low setting. The next level made me feel like someone karate chopped me in the throat. I would cough and couldn't breath all too well. The magnet was set at the next level. I moved and started to see another neurologist. He was surprised at how low the setting was. He had me swipe the magnet as if I was going to the gym. He told me to swipe it throughout the day and grow a tolerance for it. I've been back a few times and he was able to go up every time without me choking.

I usually have an aura and swipe the magnet. Sometimes I feel it and sometimes I don't. It depends on how long it took me to swipe it (ie how far into the aura it was). My memory suffers and I can't remember what happens if it progresses. I had two episodes yesterday and things happened that I don't remember. I was given a check and put it in my pocket. When it was time to donate it I didn't even know I had it. My mom swiped the magnet, but I don't recall anything. She then told me I had it in my pocket. Surprised me.

The main thing with the VNS is that it helps me come out of the seizures quicker. I would stay in a blank stare for 2 or so minutes and not respond whereas I only do it for 30-60 seconds now. So to answer your other question about if it stops seizures or not, I would say no, but it does make it have a smaller impact and ends it sooner. If you feel the need to swipe the magnet then you've already started a seizure (in my opinion). Look at it as a fire extinguisher. Fires can still happen, but the extinguisher helps put it out before it spreads and the fire department has to come out because it got out of control.

Back
Top Bottom