Varicose veins: Possible side effect of depakote?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

skyfire322

Stalwart
Reaction score
This is a little embarrassing... My nether region has been killing me for the past few days, so I went to the walk in where they did an ultrasound, where they saw varicocele down there. I'm going to a urologist for a second opinion, but if he verifies this, a surgery will be required to take care of it.

The kidney pain has been on and off since taking the Depakote, so I had thought it was just that "normal" side effect that would wear off (which is also a symptom of vericocele). All of my blood levels and urine tests have come back normal. I've been taking it for a month now, and now this happens.

Could this be a possible side effect of the medication? Has anyone who is/was on it have to deal with varicose veins anywhere? Maybe it's just coincidence, but I wanted to make sure all of my bases were covered.

I've checked all of the Googles and didn't find any helpful stuff at all.

Vericoceles tend to be slow-forming, so it's extremely unlikely that a month's exposure to Depakote would be the cause. They're relatively common in men under thirty (about 1 in 6).

Some of the side effects you've been attributing to the Depakote (nausea, vomiting and kidney pain) might be related instead to compression of the left renal vein that caused the varicocele.

That would make sense.

I've been on Depakote for about ten years and have not had any vein issues.

Back
Top Bottom