VEEG in progress

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Today was the 2nd day of my VEEG. The doctor told me I had a couple of seizures in my sleep last night and that it looked like the seizures were starting on my right-side of the brain. Since I quit taking all medications last Friday, I'm hoping I get the BIG ONE soon. Maybe they will be able to determine the cause and if it can be taken care with surgery. I think I would prefer that over taking medications the rest of my life! He also suggested I get another MRI done while I'm here. I'm hoping I finally get some answers! BTW...I look like an alien with all those electrodes all over my head! Kinda silly!

Diana

I hope your dr gets the results he needs to give you answers! I had my first VEEG in March of this year and after a couple of days, I thought I was in a different place! I looked silly too! My head was all wrapped up in gauze after they stuck all those electrodes on my head!

Thanks Kristin. If you don't me me asking, how long have you had epilepsy? Were you on med's while pregnant? We are planning for a 2nd baby, but I told my hubby I'd rather not be on any med's while pregnant.

Hi, Diana,

Any idea how long you are in for? (lol... sounds like prison, which I guess having a video eeg kinda feels like)

Here's hoping you get the results you are hoping for. A positive eeg is a good thing - it answers a lot of questions.

Maybe they will be able to determine the cause and if it can be taken care with surgery. I think I would prefer that over taking medications the rest of my life! He also suggested I get another MRI done while I'm here. I'm hoping I finally get some answers!

Diana

Hi Diana,

I hope they find some answers for you soon, also. But do you really want brain surgery? Have you considered the long term consequences? Sure, medications have side effects, but believe me, so does brain surgery. Think long and hard and ask lots and lots of questions before allowing anyone to cut you open. :ponder:

Thanks Kristin. If you don't me me asking, how long have you had epilepsy? Were you on med's while pregnant? We are planning for a 2nd baby, but I told my hubby I'd rather not be on any med's while pregnant.

Ive had epilepsy since I was a baby. I had seizures while I was an infant, but wasnt officially dx'd with Epilepsy til I was 18 months old. Ive been on alot of different medications since then.

Yes, I was on all my medications during all of my pregnancies. I have PCOS, (polycystic Ovarian Syndrom) and was told I would probably never be able to concieve kids. When I was in the 6th grade, I started to gain alot of weight and around the age of 14, I started my first period, but would go for months without having a period again. I was put on glucophage xr to help with the PCOS which I was told I had when I was 18 yrs old. I also took the birth control pill to help regulate my periods each month. I was 3 months along in my first pregnancy before I knew something was up. Our son came out perfect! He was born in June 2004, I found out I was pregnant at my 6 week post check up after having our first son. We had our second son 10 1/2 months after giving birth to our first son, in May 2005. Our third boy was born in November 2006.

How long did they tell you that you had to remain in the hospital for the video EEG? How many days? And if you already seizured, why can't you go home now? I worry because if I have to have one done, they're lucky to catch one seizure, let alone wait for the big one that happens once every month or so, occasionally twice.

They may keep you awhile. The doc may want to see if you have seizures coming from more than one place. One or two seizures aren't a good representation of your total seizure experience. Before they'd ever do surgery, there'd be even more measurement of your seizures, possibly with an invasive eeg to really pinpoint things. Don't know if a PET scan has completely taken the place of that.

Really, I agree with the surgery comment. Sure you want that so soon? Any kind of surgery is risky and has unexpected side effects - especially neuro surgery. Many in here will chime in about their experiences - good and bad. Be sure to talk to Cint.

Back
Top Bottom