Video EEGs - any 'extra' electrodes?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

You could always tell your dr that it takes awhile for you to start having seizures, and if youre on medications now, they can take you off them prior to you going in for the VEEG. Ive heard of some people being taken off their medications prior to them being admited. that way you wont spend alot of time in the hospital not having seizures.

If I were you, I would correct any mistakes they made in the letter and send them a new one. :)

I'm not on any seizure medications yet...that's why I'm so upset. And even off medications, I'm still only seizuring every 9 to 37 days (usually closer to the latter...28 days or 37 days or so, maybe even longer).

And what doctor is going to keep me in the hospital 8 weeks in order to 'prove' these seizures on video? They'll put me in a week or two and then when the video EEG comes up clean, claim these are non-epileptic pseudoseizures and offer me psych meds, and sorry, unless these doctors will allow me to drive their children to school daily for the next couple of years, I'm not accepting a pseudoseizure diagnosis.

That's why I'm so frustrated...

Are there any specific things that cause you to have a seizure? Like being sleep deprived? My mom said when I was little my dad took me on a roller coaster and right after getting off, I had a seizure. so I havnt gone on one since. If there is anything that you know of that can cause you to have a seizure, and if its something the drs can do while youre doing the VEEG, that will allow them to catch a seizure!

i have a pic to and I dont mind posting it,
we all look silly dear, it is ok

When I had my VEEG done a month ago, they placed all the electrodes on my head, forhead area, and then had moniters hooked up to my chest area to moniter my heart rate. Other than on the head and chest, they didnt have any other electrodes placed anywhere else. I actually have a picture my dad took while I was there! LOL If you want to see it, I will post it for you!

But I will warn you, I look pretty silly! :roflmao:

Heh, me too! I look like I had a serious head injury because they put bandage all around to keep the electrodes from coming off. What a nightmare to get out of my hair!! :paperbag: :roflmao:

Yeah after they unwrapped my head, all I felt was tons of big globs of glue everywhere! I thought.. OMG!..... The freash air to my head felt great, but feeling all that glue was just awful! I took a shower before being discharged and I swear, I had so much hair in that shower drain! I couldnt believe how much came out! I didnt even get a chance to take a light comb through it! That was just me putting alot of conditioner in my hair and massaging through it.

I know, it took three showers before my hair stopped sticking to my scalp! It was there for a week! I don't know if my mom still has that picture, but she sent it to her sister, and she freaked out because she thought I'd been in a car accident.

My sisters were expecting me to look like an alien! :roflmao: when my dad took that picture, he sent it to them and they said they thought for sure Id be looking alot worse than that!

I told my friend I was a cyborg zombie, with the wires and the bandages and everything. :roflmao:

The only potential seizure 'triggers' I can put my finger on seem to involve Space Weather events, and I doubt doctors can control or mimic them...if they'd even believe me.

Basically, when the Magnetic Field Component goes 'neutral' and the Dynamic Pressure falls to 'zero' and remains that way for several days in a row, I'm more likely to seizure...

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/SWN/index.html

Also, when the blue line on the Electron Flux graph goes 'jaggedy blue', I'm more likely to seizure, though that hasn't happened since February. There were some dips and a bump the other day, and I felt horrific, but dips and bumps aren't what I'm talking about...and no seizures. And you'll know what I mean by 'jaggedy blue' when it happens...

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/today2.html

There are some other triggers, too, Space-Weather-wise (such as prolonged solar flares), but I'm still trying to figure them all out...still trying to figure out what makes one solar or geomagnetic storm different from another, one causing a seizure, and the next one only causing discomfort.

Seizures and...Solar and Geomagnetic Activity?
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/seizures-solar-geomagnetic-activity-11768/

Last edited:
I had a 3-day in-home video EEG done recently. Someone came to the house, pasted on the electrodes, and set up video monitors.There were 4-5 electrodes on my forehead,1 on each temple, 2 on my chest, and 24, I think, all over my head. It really wasn't to bad. All the wires ran to this bag that looked like a video camera bag, under my arm. I had to carry that everywhere, but the only places with cameras were the 2 rooms they'd set them up in.

The main problem I had was that I was allergic to the adhesive that was used UNDER the electrodes. I'm thinking it may have had formaldehyde in it. It left my forehead and the 2 spots on my chest raw. It never hurt, just itched. My biggest reaction was on the last night of the whole procedure. I got horribly dizzy, almost threw up, I had to lay down because the room was spinning (violently spinning), had a loose stool, I was up nearly all night. It felt like more of an inner ear thing than anything else. This lasted about a week and 1/2. I've never had a seizure that bad, not with such a rapid onset or severe symptoms, so I suspect it must've been part of the allergic reaction.

Moral: ask any and all questions you may have, and don't be afraid to call either the neuro or the EEG center

Maybe a dumb question, but...are you allowed to bathe when you are hooked up for a video EEG? And how? Do they make you sponge bathe or can you jump into a tub, just making sure not to get the electrodes wet?

Maybe a dumb question, but...are you allowed to bathe when you are hooked up for a video EEG? And how? Do they make you sponge bathe or can you jump into a tub, just making sure not to get the electrodes wet?

When I had mine done, I wasnt allowed to shower or bath. The five days I was in the hospital, I changed clothing, and wiped down with some fresh wipes. When they took the wires and all that junk off of me, then I got the chance to shower before being released.

I wasn't allowed to bathe or shower, but they have great "baby wipes." They are thick, and kind of soapy but don't need rinsing. They do a pretty good job. I used a washcloth and the sink, too. But you can't wash or touch up your hair or scalp. Clean clothes felt so good. Sometimes I'd change twice a day.

Oh, yeah. A shower before going home feels sooooo good. Getting the glue out then is good, too. It takes lots of olive oil. I wanted to get THEIR shower greasy, not mine. It's hard to get the grease off the tiles, lol....

I wasn't allowed to bathe or shower, but they have great "baby wipes." They are thick, and kind of soapy but don't need rinsing. They do a pretty good job. I used a washcloth and the sink, too. But you can't wash or touch up your hair or scalp. Clean clothes felt so good. Sometimes I'd change twice a day.

Oh, yeah. A shower before going home feels sooooo good. Getting the glue out then is good, too. It takes lots of olive oil. I wanted to get THEIR shower greasy, not mine. It's hard to get the grease off the tiles, lol....

I never knew you could use olive oil to get the glue out! I just brought alot of conditioner and massaged it into my scalp alot. I went home with some glue still in my hair!

Yeah - good old olive oil. you rub it into your scalp, adding more when you need to. Especially on the glue blobs, and work those glue blobs around between your fingers, adding more oil. It took me about a half hour. When you think you have it done, wash and dry your hair. You'll see something like really bad dandruff. That's the glue you missed. Oil up and do it again! Then shampoo, rinse, repeat, etc....

Really an oily, slippery mess. Would rather get it in the hospital's shower (when shampooing out the oil) than mine!

Thing is with OCD, I think I'd rather shower at home, but then again, maybe a quick shower there at the end would pass time and help me feel a little more human? Still hoping I don't have to do this video EEG thing, but thanks though...

It was a center, called Global Neuro Diagnostics, I believe. (pronounced nu-ro)

Last edited:
kind of a bummer listening to everyone talking about their experiences.mine was 1.5 yrs ago and i probably remembered more back then but now all I remember was questioning why I was going home in my pjs.Turns out thats how I showed up there-haha-boyfriend saved me from drowning the night before and they carted me up in pjs next morn.I do remember he parked up on roof of parking garage and i remember at some point pulling out the sphenoidal thats how i know it hurt when they reinserted it.i dont remember nobody putting any of the electrodes in when i got there-dont really even remember first day--i know it was a Sunday.I remember my sisinlaw visiting at one point because her mum had her second stroke in a week so they flighted her to clevclinic.i remember using my sons laptop and finding out all my bank accts had been changed but i dont remember doing that or even bringing the laptop.It was like it all happened to someone else and yet nothing was caught on veeg.I dont think it was planned well enough-I wasnt off meds til i was there for 4 days

Back
Top Bottom