Vimpat, a new AED, has anybody else tried it

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I'm on Vimpat. am also on lamictal and epilim but my neuro said after this latest increase if all goes good I will have my epilim reduced. It was my last try for tablets. as far as side affects go...i have had dizzy spells a few hrs after I take it but as I'm getting used to them they don't last as long. I'm cheering about the good luck I've had with it tho.
Chin up

Great to hear of success with Vimpat. Never heard of epilim. Keep us posted of any other side effects, it's most helpful!

I'm amazed at how much discussion there is about this drug, but I haven't been a member of this forum for long, so perhaps there are other drugs that are discussed this much. I read about four pages but am at my business and just don't have the time to go through them all, so I came here to the last one.

I was using Depakote for many years, but the tremors became unlivable, along with other side effrcts. Besides, I had begun to break thrrough every month or so. I only have severe tonic-clonic seizures so it was imperative that they be stopped. Virtually every family of drug has been tried with little success, including adjunct drugs, some of which were supposed to have an effect on my tremors. None did. In fact, some seemed to actually CAUSE seizures as soon as they were introduced. Right now I'm using about 475 mg of Lamictal, and it seems to be fairly good, though I've had a few pretty severe seizures.

The point is, while ramping up on Lamictal I was still breaking through occasionally and didn't want to increase the dose because of nasty side effects like confusion, inability to concentrate, sleeplessness, and itching, especially at night. So, the Neuro added Vimpat. I'm glad it works for so many folks, but it sure didn't help me.

The itching increased to the point where I felt like ripping my skin off, and no topical med could even dent it. Antihistimines helped just a little, but not much. The insomnia got much worse, concentration was a bigger problem than ever, and worst of all, I began to have intrusive thoughts, some of which were really nasty. I had suicide ideation so badly I asked my wife to remove everything with which I might hurt myself. I am not a gun nut, In fact, I'm a vegetarian because of my respect and love for animals. But for the last few yers I've been enjoying trap shooting with a shotgun. It is strictly a target sport, and the tremors don't really mess it up to much because of the sweeping motion of the movements. My tremors are primarily with precise hand movement. Eating is a B#@$%! In fact, I'm awaiting word right now on DBS surgery to help with it, as it's getting worse all the time. Anyhow, while I was lucid enough I asked my wife to change the combination on our safe where the shotgun was, and to take the security keys to work. She witnessed other personality changes as well, such as mood swings and incredible rage. I felt positivly insane. I believe it's called toxic psychosis, which I had already had a taste of with Dilantin. I was taken off the stuff and upped the dosage of Lamictal and though those side effects are no fun I'm at least sane again. I've even learned the new combination to the safe and have been trap shooting a couple of times with a lot of enjoyment. Oh yeah, I'm not all that good a shot, either!!

Has anyone else had this lousy an experience with Vimpat?

Thanks for all the great info Motorbill66. My son is on Vimpat and Zonisamide. I was about to beg the doc to wean him off the Zonisamide and onto something else because he is having a lot of the symptoms you described but you attribute them to Vimpat. He is also having 2 other kinds of pretty severe attacks. One is a fainting episode and the other is a severe panic episode. We don't know what to think about those yet and are investigating into possible heart issues. He is very strong and I doubt that's it but I guess we have to rule it out. I wonder if it's the Vimpat and not the Zonisamide that's causing the trouble. Could it be the combination of Vimpat with certain other drugs is the problem? The things I had attributed to Zonisamide when he started it were all the things you mentioned. The things I attributed to Vimpat were stomach and skin problems. How the heck can I tell which is which? My son doesn't communicate what he's feeling very well. What a conundrum.

The stomach thing may be due to the Zonisamide. When I was on it I could barely eat -- A. because it's an appetite suppressant, and B. because it made my stomach hurt quite badly, and made my system very acidic. I had cognitive and mood issues (depression and anger), I think most likely because I wasn't able to eat properly.

Thanks Nakamova, I think I'll try to get the neurologist to switch from Zonisamide to Trileptal and see how that goes. Anyone have experience with Trileptal?

I'm amazed at how much discussion there is about this drug, but I haven't been a member of this forum for long, so perhaps there are other drugs that are discussed this much. I read about four pages but am at my business and just don't have the time to go through them all, so I came here to the last one.

I was using Depakote for many years, but the tremors became unlivable, along with other side effrcts. Besides, I had begun to break thrrough every month or so. I only have severe tonic-clonic seizures so it was imperative that they be stopped. Virtually every family of drug has been tried with little success, including adjunct drugs, some of which were supposed to have an effect on my tremors. None did. In fact, some seemed to actually CAUSE seizures as soon as they were introduced. Right now I'm using about 475 mg of Lamictal, and it seems to be fairly good, though I've had a few pretty severe seizures.

The point is, while ramping up on Lamictal I was still breaking through occasionally and didn't want to increase the dose because of nasty side effects like confusion, inability to concentrate, sleeplessness, and itching, especially at night. So, the Neuro added Vimpat. I'm glad it works for so many folks, but it sure didn't help me.

The itching increased to the point where I felt like ripping my skin off, and no topical med could even dent it. Antihistimines helped just a little, but not much. The insomnia got much worse, concentration was a bigger problem than ever, and worst of all, I began to have intrusive thoughts, some of which were really nasty. I had suicide ideation so badly I asked my wife to remove everything with which I might hurt myself. I am not a gun nut, In fact, I'm a vegetarian because of my respect and love for animals. But for the last few yers I've been enjoying trap shooting with a shotgun. It is strictly a target sport, and the tremors don't really mess it up to much because of the sweeping motion of the movements. My tremors are primarily with precise hand movement. Eating is a B#@$%! In fact, I'm awaiting word right now on DBS surgery to help with it, as it's getting worse all the time. Anyhow, while I was lucid enough I asked my wife to change the combination on our safe where the shotgun was, and to take the security keys to work. She witnessed other personality changes as well, such as mood swings and incredible rage. I felt positivly insane. I believe it's called toxic psychosis, which I had already had a taste of with Dilantin. I was taken off the stuff and upped the dosage of Lamictal and though those side effects are no fun I'm at least sane again. I've even learned the new combination to the safe and have been trap shooting a couple of times with a lot of enjoyment. Oh yeah, I'm not all that good a shot, either!!

Has anyone else had this lousy an experience with Vimpat?

I had the bad thoughts while I was on Vimpat too. I got up to 100mgs twice a day and it got so bad that I wasnt even able to be around my kids. I felt depressed, had no energy, didnt have any desire for nothing. I quit eating, always wanting to sleep. Just felt terriable. My dr tried to cut the dose in half, and try that for a week, but it didnt improve things. Im a stay at home mom of three little boys, so I had to do something before things got worse.

Thanks, Mom of three. It's good to see that I'm not the only one who's had such a bad time with Vimpat. Actually, that came out wrong! I don't mean to say that I'm glad you had a bad time! I wish, in fact, it had worked wonders for you. I'm just glad I'm not alone in this problem...

Thanks, Mom of three. It's good to see that I'm not the only one who's had such a bad time with Vimpat. Actually, that came out wrong! I don't mean to say that I'm glad you had a bad time! I wish, in fact, it had worked wonders for you. I'm just glad I'm not alone in this problem...

I understand! :) Yeah, when my dr told me about the Vimpat, he said he wanted me off of the Carbatrol I was on for over 12 years, and if seizures were going still come with only the Keppra, he was going to add the Vimpat. Well, of course I was going to have seizures during the first couple of weeks after getting back on medications, from going cold turkey while doing my VEEG for four days. I dont think he took that into account. It took a couple of weeks after I was put back on the Keppra for the seizures to stop. But it was during that time period that he tried the Vimpat with the Keppra. It noticed within a few days my attitude had changed, I didnt have alot of energy and just didnt feel like myself. It pretty much went downhill from there. It affects everyone differently. You and I are just the "Not so lucky ones" :paperbag: :roflmao:

Motorbill again Mom3

You know, it sounds like you and I have rather similar cases and episodes, and not just the Vimpat thing. I also have had the pleasure of a four day video EEG. Can you say "loss of dignity"? They even wanted to go into the bathroom with me. I drew the line there and told them I just wouldn't go for four days! After that they let me go alone, but insisted on leaving the door ajar and standing right at it. In a way the worst physical thing wasn't being "glued" to that tether. It was when they took the whole mess off and used that lousy gritty junk to clean up. I recognised the odor and asked them if the stuff, which I couldn't see, was orange. The were surprised and said yes. I told them that since I was a mechanic most of my life I recognised the stuff as a citrus scented hand cleaner with pumice. That's what that gitty crap was, and it tokk about four shampoos to get it out. That isin't so great, since I've lost a lot of hair already! from Depakote...

But, what I wanted to ask you was whether or not they found your seizure focus point and where it was. Mine was somewhere kind of deep in the right upper front. I was just sort of wondering if that's something we have in common and if there's a connection to our type of experience and drug reactions.

I have loads of drug sensitvities and adverse reactions/side effects. That's why I was even tried on a lot of different things. The last time I was at the neurologist he said we were getting close to running out of options. That ain't good to hear...

Has anyone felt any side-effects from Vimpat and if so, which ones?

I have double vision/dizziness but it only lasts for about an hr and its not super bad. Just a little annoying. I had them bad when my dose was too high i think.
I'm on Lamictal and Epilim but in a few months (Dec i think) if i havent had anymore seizures or migraine sparks (as i call them) my neuro is considering reducing the epilim (might let my hair come back) and perhaps increase my lamictil a little. :woot:

Tralee A

Are you saying your double vision/dizziness was from Vimpat or from the other meds you are on? Thanks

Aloha everyone, I know this sounds counter-intuitive but I was having a really tough time on the Vimpat and my Dr. increased the dosage and spread it out durring the day. I now take 300mgs-- 100mg in the early a.m. then 50mg late a.m. and 50mg late afternoon followed with 100mgs 7:30 p.m.. This stuff is VERY time sensitive but this plan is working much better and I am not so miserable,depressed, unmotivated, shall I go on?...:ponder:

It is ok...I have 'the iron clad contract'...we signed up for fifty years and it's only been 33, although my warrenty ran out about 15 years ago :paperbag:. I did discose that he would never be bored and I think I have fulfilled that obligation quite well! :roflmao:

Back
Top Bottom