vitamin b1/thiamine

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Emee

Stalwart
Reaction score
Is anyone here taking this supplement? If so any problems with it? I thought I had researched it well but now that I've got the vitamin I'm still a little concerned about taking it for fear it might trigger seizures. Thanks for your thoughts.

I found out that if my B1 level is low it will trigger seizures for me. What I take is vitamin B12 every day and I found that eating nuts of any kind
has helped reduce my seizures. The nuts have a lot of vitamin B in them. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Thank you for your reply & continued success with your treatment. Sometimes I think I'm too careful about everything.

B1 has a neuroprotective effect, so unless you have a known allergy it would be unusual for it to cause problems. Has your neuro recommended it? If it's an over-the-counter supplement you should check the other ingredients. Some people are susceptible to the fillers such supplements can contain. As with anything new, proceed with caution

Note: Unless you have a B1 deficiency (which would ordinarily be treated by a B1 injection) the B vitamins are usually better taken together in a B-complex supplement.

I take a B-Complex with Folate about 1-3 times per week depending on how I'm feeling.

I'm not sure if I've taken B1 by itself directly, but I remember at the point where doctors were investigating what on earth was wrong with me, they started with the vitamin B injections (not sure which B vitamin this was, though)...ugh. Did that like for a month or so, once a week, but I didn't have a seizure for a year. At that point, I was having them happen many times per week at school, which were more focal aware type of things going on. At one point, it seemed there was a year that I only had one or two seizures.

I remember I started taking one vitamin B6 and one vitamin B12 before school every day at home and that reduced the seizures dramatically. That was when I was about 9 years old. It seemed like the problem had basically gone away by the time I was 11 years old.

I don't remember if I was still taking the vitamin B like I was supposed to, but the seizures only worsened. By the time I was 14, I had my first epilepsy problem at school (this stuff always happened at school...seriously). Then, medications were inevitable, but I was glad to not have to take them for those 5 years after being diagnosed.

So, I figure this is all hormone related and influenced because the worst times for me are that one week a month and it's awful at the start and at the end of the menstrual cycle.

I started getting bad nocturnal epilepsy these past few months. It's scary, and horrible. I remembered I wasn't taking my B-Complex again. I had laid off of it because for a time I thought maybe I was getting too much - I was having terrible, vivid nightmares that wouldn't stop and I had so many nightmares in a night that I couldn't rest. It was constantly falling asleep, having a nightmare, and waking up. I stopped the B-Complex and the nightmares became less and less. So, I suppose it was possible to get too much after a point.

I forgot about the B-Complex again for a while. With the nocturnal epilepsy, I started thinking what might help and I took a vitamin B-complex before bed. Now, I don't like doing this because vitamin B wakes the brain up, but I wasn't sleeping good anyway. I felt like for the first time in a while I actually got some sleep without a seizure in the night. I did that for a few nights, then gave it a break, then a few more times with the B-complex.

After a while, I had some scarier issues and my dosage was upped, which has helped me sleep much better, too. However, I still take the vitamin B-Complex at least one a week. Other times, I make sure to take the Folate on a better schedule, because Keppra is known for taking folate from you and I feel that helps. In conjunction, this helps quite a bit.

I don't have a neuro at this time. Because of allergies I have to be careful of anything I ingest. I have read a lot of good things about B-1 & decided to give it a try. I will start with low dose. thanks everyone.

Back
Top Bottom