Vitamin D

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I wrote an article on Vitamin D Deficiency and seizures in children also.
http://www.indiana.edu/~pietsch/zoerickets.html
Many of the anticonvulsants affect vitamin D metabolism in the liver, speeding it up, which can lead to many problems including osteoporosis. I read several articles on Mercola's site and got tested, and yes, my levels were low. The supplements relieved a lot of my longstanding bone pain too. Do you take supplements?
Zoe

I was able to use bugmenot for the mercola site successfully.

Robin, it's OK to quote a small portion of articles that you are referencing to highlight what it is about.

mercola said:
If Professor Robert Heaney of Creighton University, the calcium and vitamin D expert, is right, then the damage from widespread vitamin D deficiency may well be enormous. In an ominous warning, Dr. Heaney recently wrote, "The cost of vitamin D deficiency, while yet to be fully reckoned, may well be massive."

If Professor Michael Holick of Boston University (the man who has written the relevant chapters in Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine for the last 15 years) is right, then we should all have our calcidiol [25(OH)D] levels checked every year.

PubMed / Anticonvulsant effects of 1 said:
Our findings show that Vitamin D plays a direct anticonvulsant role in the brain and suggest that the Vitamin D endocrine system may represent a new target for the development of anticonvulsant drugs.

Thanks Bernard.
It was a long day. Rebecca had another seizure yesterday, and I am desperate to help her.
I know we need a bit more time to see if this med will work.
I appreciate you picking up the pieces that I throw out there

One doctor early on suggested that she sit in the sun each day for 30 min. But I have not added Vit D to her supplement list. I am heading to Whole Foods today to make a purchase.

Last edited:
When Stacy was seeing Dr. Yang for QiGong acupressure, she told Stacy to exercise (yoga) outside every day for 15-20 minutes. I'm sure that vitamin D production was part of the reason for the recommendation.

Sorry to hear about your daughter having so many seizures lately. I hope she finds a solution soon.

Me too - she had another one today.

I went over her calendar to see what was different back at the beginning of the year to get her through a couple of months seizure free. I see that I introduce DMG. It was suggested on a yahoo group that I have joined as being a supplement that can help seizures, speech and language, and stamina for athletes. I gave it up when the supply ran out because I really thought the benefit was occuring from the progesterone and diet. Today I picked some up again, and am going to do another study...

I also got some 5HTP and Vit D. I will introduce them seperately.

Another site on Vitamin D

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/health/autism/vit-D-and-brain.shtml#hd1

At least five studies have found significant associations between higher vitamin D levels and better intellectual functioning, but they all studied adults. However, a recent report found a very high incidence of vitamin D deficiency among 337 younger individuals with intellectual disabilities. The obvious explanation is that intellectually impaired individuals do not go outdoors as often as higher functioning individuals and thus have lower vitamin D levels. Two groups found the association after controlling for outdoor activities, making it likely that low vitamin D levels per se impair intellectual ability.

Back
Top Bottom