Vitamins and Epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Matthew74

Stalwart
Reaction score
Has anyone had problems taking vitamins? Calcium and magnesium are involved in neuro transmitter function.

I think my sodium levels got really low about a week ago (based on previous experience and tests). So, I started taking some vitamins. I'm feeling better, but I'm also more seizure-y. I'm stressing really hard about work, and my neigbor's alarm wakes me up at 6 every morning, so that isn't helping.

Mostly I'm interested in Calcium, Magnesium, and Zinc. All are at or below recommended dose.

I'm taking calcium because it's not in my multivitamin, and because I tested positive for bone loss because of tegretol. I couldn't find Cal-Mag supplements so I got some magnesium too.

I'm trying zinc because a professional cyclist I said it would help with sore muscles. I'm not sure about that, but I think it helps me sleep.

I would see a doctor and get blood tests, but I don't have a primary, and it's an enormous pain. You can't just show up and get a blood test anymore. It takes well over an hour at my hospital. The private labs I've visited have been nightmare-ish.

Hi Matthew,

I've been talking the Calcium, Magnesium and Zinc all together in one pill and it has reduced my seizures a lot along
with helping keeping my immune system stronger with the zinc. My Epileptologist told me that zinc will help reduce my
seizures so I take 50 mg. a day along with the calcium Magnesium and Zinc. I haven't had any trouble taking these vitamins
and I've been doing it for at least a yr. if not longer.

I understand where you are coming from with bone loss from tegretol I was on that for many yrs. and I sure did lose a lot
of bone to the point I fractured my ankle and that was no fun. If you shop at Walmart you can get all 3 of these meds in one
pill made my Nature Made or Spring Valley or check it out on Amazon they also carry it. I wish you the best of luck and May
God Bless You!

Sue

In general, I haven't had issues with supplements.

The only time I think I had issues was possibly when I might've been getting too much of a B vitamin of some sort. I was having horrendous nightmares and wasn't sleeping well night after night and then I cut myself off of it for a few days and things improved. Now I try to take it once every other day to once every two or three depending how I feel.

Keppra is known to steal folic acid and B vitamins have always seemed to help me. I wondered if perhaps that's how I went so long without medication as a kid. B vitamins really did help...and they still do. I was having problems with nocturnal seizures for a few times there and while not ideal, I took a B-complex before bed to see what happen...while that might not provide the most restful sleep, I didn't have seizures and I haven't taken it in a couple days and still nothing at night so hopefully I can get myself on a good pattern with my B-complex again.

I take zinc from time to time when I'm feeling a bit yucky and it seems to help.

I use a topical magnesium spray and that helps my joints so much, but I don't always remember to use it and then my joints remind me...

I tend to do a lot of my own personal research as well before taking on a new supplement.

I haven't had any problems taking vitamins. Since developing epilepsy I've been low in Vitamin D and B12, so I take supplements for that. Since e-meds can cause osteoporosis, I also take magnesium and get a lot of calcium in my diet (they are needed to metabolize Vitamin D). Occasionally I’ll take a sleep supplement.

Back
Top Bottom