Wandering off?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

bunchiema

New
Reaction score
Is wandering off part of epilepsy? My cousins mom told her that her taking off is part of her epilepsy. I don't think it is but I need to hear it from others. I asked her if she was aware of what she was doing and of course the answer was yes. I'm not talking about trying to get up during a seizure. This is more like leaving to take a walk.

Is wandering off part of epilepsy?
If someone has complex partial seizures (where there's only partial awareness/consciousness), then they might "wander off" during the seizure, kind of along the lines of sleepwalking. But other than that, no, folks with epilepsy don't wander off.

If she means wandering off as in running away from situations or leaving to go shopping without telling anyone, then No, that is no part of epilepsy. that is simply someones choice

If she meant slowly wandering like sleep walking, unresponsive to someone calling their name or walking in circles, this is called a complex partial and is a type of seizure like Nakamova mentioned.

i do this all the time i know im doing it but cant stop it! when im in the house i walk towards the stiars or away from anyone whos near me! its hard to explain but it just happens and im sure its dangerous
I get this before i go into my tonic clonic! so yes it can happen it may not be in books or internet but i defo get it!

I know some people run. When I was just in the hospital, they asked me if I was a "runner". I guess during seizures sometimes people will just bolt. If you are a "runner" then you get a "sitter". Pretty funny really if you got a look at the "sitters". Those folks would not be able to stop a feather :)

Hi, all I am too new to the site to post a link, but if you google "Behavioral Manifestations of Frontal Lobe Seizures" by Silvana Riggio you will find a terrific article she presented for grand rounds at Mt. Sinai in New York. This very behavior is outlined in her article.

Back
Top Bottom