War on Epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

There are a number of way but the 2 main reasons are cardiac arrhythmia or respiratory arrest

My friend who died when I was 19, her heart gave out. She was seuzing for 7 hours, but I imagine if she had survived her brain would have been mush after so long.

Sometimes, with nocturnal seizures, the person will roll into their pillow and suffocate.

You roll a seizing person on their side, called the recovery position, so when the seizure stops, the tongue will relax and stop blocking the airway. As if they vomit, it will not go into their lungs.

8befe44e.jpg

The Spectrum of Neuropathologic Findings in Deaths Associated with Seizure Disorders

My friend who died when I was 19, her heart gave out. She was seizing for 7 hours, but I imagine if she had survived her brain would have been mush after so long.

7 hours ?????? Man, that's bad ! Sorry to hear she had to go through such a horrible period...it's just soooo not fair :(

It was the early 70's
Long time ago. Margret was 24

7 hours, was your friend sleeping. How can I tell if my son is having ones when he sleeps, stay up and watch? Now i am lost. Is this a normal about night szs.

No it began in the morning, she was halucinating, kept saying someone was trying to break into her house, then freaked so badly she ran out of the house. They found her on the sidewalk at the end of the street in a grand mal. The ambulance took her to the hospital, Just when they thought they had the sezsures under control, another horrendous grand mal would hit. They just couldn't stop them.

As I look back on this, I wonder if her hysterectomy had anything to do with this. Margret got married at 12 yrs of age ( she was from the back hills of Tennessee) had 2 kids by age 15 and a hysterectomy by age 20. She was on synthetic hormones. Her first GM happened right after church services in the vestibule.

They didn't know the cause of her epilepsy.

7 hours, was your friend sleeping. How can I tell if my son is having ones when he sleeps, stay up and watch? Now i am lost. Is this a normal about night szs.

you can buy basic sound-only baby monitor... put one in your room and one in your childs room....

than again, when my youngest had breathing problems he selpt in our room... try as had as it may be not to panic...kids are pretty tuned into parents...

love angel

The serotoninergic system is known to modulate mood, emotion, sleep and appetite. It also clearly has an effect on seizure frequency and intensity as I have documented pets (and people) who have had seasonal increases in their seizures as the daylight hours lessen. In fact, I have seizure logs from pets that ONLY seize between November and April and never seize from April to November. This would directly coincide with drops in serotonin levels as the days shorten.

from Doctor J at Brain Talk
http://brain.hastypastry.net/forums/showpost.php?p=58188&postcount=5

Robin - it's a shame John's suspended from
BT!

:(

He tried to offer some suggestions to a women overseas that didn't have very good medical help.

It's a fine line we all have to walk when we feel strongly about something we feel would help someone. It's fine to talk about personal experiences and suggest people research something, but telling people what to do is crossing the line.

That's a general rule - I don't know what happened with DogtorJ @ BrainTalk

Yes look at history.... some very important people have been treated much worse for trying to help others. Sometimes it is worth it.

John really goes the extra mile to get the word
out! I really like this Doctor! I have a lot of
respect for him - he really cares; he really does!

Back
Top Bottom