Warning!!! New flu vaccine, the intraderma needle

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Okay, just want to tell all of you AND WARN you if you are thinking about getting the Flu Vaccine and if you get it with the new Intradermal needle, the one they advertise as 90% smaller needle.

September 13th, I got the vaccine with this needle at work and the next day it was sore, which is normal. HOWEVER, the next day, I woke and my arm was red & HOT. At first it was small and then in a matter of hours it spread across most of my upper arm.

I thought maybe it was just a reaction and it would go away but it didn't. So today I went to see my primary doctor and he just looked at it and felt it and knew what it was. I have CELLULITIS, a SKIN INFECTION. He said it was caused when they gave me the injection because it puts a hole in your skin and upon the injection, bacteria can get inside and I happened to be the unlucky one. He prescribed antibiotics and said it should take care of it and if it gets worse to go see him.

IF you get ANY vaccine and you start experiencing redness, swelling, fever, hot skin in area of rash, GO SEE YOUR DOCTOR IMMEDIATELY because serious and life threatening complications can result if not treated. Now, my doctor said it doesn't occur very often but it can happen. Just thought I'd give you a heads up.

Thanks for the warning! I don't usually get the flu shot anyway, but this makes me even less likely to...

My arm is better, not as red now. I still have some redness and occasional pain. Just saw my doctor yesterday and started the antibiotics today. My arm had been blood red and hot like a bad sunburn, still painful. I'll never get that again. What makes me mad is they told me AFTER I got the shot and I showed them what happened, it was THEN they told me they've had several reports on it for the same thing. Like thanks a lot.

another reason to avoid the shot! They give them out where I work too, but I have never had one. I think I will pass this along to my friends who do though! Thanks for the info

I was reading that the cellulitis that I got can come from a contaminated needle, that's scary. I don't think they had a package that they opened cause they had to fill it. It had a cap on it and stuff but usually when I've had shots, they take it out of a package right there & fill it in front of me.

This is what my arm looked like 4 days after the shot, first 2, then below that what it is now First pictures, the arm was actually worse than in the picture, BLOOD RED & it's still a little red but better and not as swollen

ArmReaction1_zps87e28295.jpg

ArmReaction4_zps63c701cc.jpg

Day 3 of Antibiotics, looks better

ArmReactionDay3ofAntibiotics3_zpsb8271d9d.jpg

ArmReactionDay3ofAntibiotics2_zps579ef589.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom