Well 1st EEG done, Lots of questions

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
So, yesterday went better than expected. She let them put her leads on and get her wrapped, and did fine for most of the test. Of couse during the last hour she was shouting "I'm DONE. Want to go home, NOW!" but other than that she handled it well.

There are a few things I am curious about though and maybe someone here can answer from experiance because the nurse/tech of course isn't allowed to tell us anything. During the first hour, she was sitting up in the bed coloring on her Color me a song, which plays music in tempo to your coloring, she was doing it fast so the music kept speeding up and suddenly her back went ramrod stiff, she fell over on her side for maybe three seconds then popped right back up and kept coloring. I wasn't sure if I needed to push the button to mark it (could just be a toddler thing) so I went to and saw the readout marked it as XL SPIKE, so I left it alone. It happened a few more times while she was awake where it would mark it, and sometimes when it did it she would have jerked or something, but mostly her activity could be explained away as she is a two yr old stuck on a bed.

Also while awake, there were several incidents where she was just sitting there in the bed talking to mommy and daddy or laying there watching tv and suddenly the machine would go crazy. All the different little squiggly lines were all over the screen, and that would last for 15-30seconds then would just quit. At one point the nurse/tech came running into the room, looked at her saw she was just sitting there talking and looked at the monitor doing that, back at her and just walked out. Never would tell us why. There were two times it did it like that where she was whinning and twisting around on the bed and pulled the heart monitor line off and I had to retape it, but that only accounted for twice. And Im not sure why the heart line being off would cause the other lines to read like that.

When she was asleep, the monitor marking itself as XL SPIKE was much more frequent, sometimes once or more for every screen for a few minutes and then nothing for a few. Once coincided with a time I would have possibly marked it. She was laying there and started moving some, I at first thought okay muscle twitches, as her father and myself both do the same early in the sleep cycle. Then her hand came up and her fingers looked tense and funny and held there up off the bed. That arm jerked twice, then her leg on that side then the opposite arm jerked a few times then it all relaxed and she was snorring again.

All I can say is that at least it was all on video, so the doc will have that to gauge by. But what is an XL SPIKE at first it worried me, but happening so much while she was asleep I thought it was just her dreaming. And what about all the lines going like that? I meant is that typical seizure behavior or just her having moved some or what???

Thanks ahead of time.

Maybe XL Spike means Extra large Spike? It probably corresponds to more dramatic seizure activity. Some patterns of abnormal brainwaves don't necessarily correspond to when a seizure is happening. They can be there all the time in the background, indicating that she has a low seizure threshold. It does seem like your daughter is having a lot of stuff going on. The nighttime stuff could be affecting her sleep.

When do you get to talk to the neuro about the EEG results? Make sure you ask everything you've asked here.

Back
Top Bottom