Well, here's to a fun couple of days....

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

TeeTees

New
Reaction score
As you may be aware from my other posts, I have Ulcerative Colitis as well as Epilepsy.

I had a letter a few months ago from the Doc telling me that he wants me in for an Endoscopy - a look at me butt !

Having tried to get out off it, as I'm a bit scared about having to take some Klean-Prep stuff which completely flushes me through, so they can see things clearer (if you catch my drift), I was eventually told that I HAVE to go and have it done, and that my pills will stay in my system no problem (which is what I was concerned about).

So, in approx 40 minutes I have to start my first dose of the 4 litres!!!...off Klean-Prep for the day.

Tomorrow I have to shoot to the hospital where they're gonna drug me up, knock me out, and take bits and pieces out of me so they do an examination of the biopsy, which in turn should give 'em a better idea off how much medication I SHOULD be taking for the UC, and if there is any better stuff for me.

I'm currently popping a pill called Aziathioprine, which reduces your white blood cell count, so less damage can be incurred to my "inner walls" <ahem>.....and I am sooo sure that it's these tablets which are causing my mood swings, and tiredness too. So maybe this will be a good thing - I keep telling myself.

So, if you don't hear from me over the next couple of days, it's cuz I'm either on the toilet or completely drugged up....thought I'd share that with you (hehe)

Stay well everyone, and I'll speak to you soon. :cheers:

Two in my house have done this test (not me), and everything went smoothly :ridem:
Take care, and enjoy the rest if you can.

I did it a few weeks ago -- they knew about my AEDs -- It wasn't fun but I did OK.

Good luck on yours.

Some people have all the luck.... :lol:

Best wishes for your test. :)

My husband had one done a few weeks ago. His biggest problem was during the preparation time. Bathroom availability. We have a small house with 1 bathroom and 5 people using it.

((((( hugs )))))

And good luck with the tests!

Ouch!....speedy recovery wishes goin' out!
:agree:

Thanks for all the good wishes peeps.

I didn't expect to be on the computer this evening, due to all the stuff they had written on the leaflets I was given prior to the examination - "you will be heavily sedated, and should be monitored for 24 hours following the sedation, you should not operate any machinery, you should not drive (haha-very funny I thought !), you should not even boil a kettle, (and my favourite)...you should not sign any documentation that you may have received in the post" (hahaha - yeah pass me the check-book, I'll sign anything)

Well, Yesterday was a real pig of a day - started the Klean-Prep at 12 noon, and was ready for the bathroom by 12:45. Continued drinking the stuff which they say "tastes of vanilla", but that's if you can get past the salt water taste & texture <yeuch!>, until I had drunk the first 2 litres by 2 O'Clock. Luckily though, I must admit, it was like passing water (sorry, if you're eating at the moment), so no pain at all apart from the odd stomach cramp.

I then had to take a break for 4 hours <phew>, although I still couldn't eat anything apart from stuff like consommes (watery soup), water, black coffee, black tea.

6pm, I'm back on the Klean-Prep, and yep you guessed it.....in the bathroom by 6:30. Continued with this "drink-bathroom-flush-drink-bathroom-flush" routine until I went to bed at 10:30.

Got up this morning feeling a li'l nervous about what's about to come - I've been dreading the fact off being knocked out and maybe having a seizure whilst there's a tube stuck up inside me.

Took my pills as per norm, had a shower, and had my Dad to hand to take me to the Hospital for my 9:30 appointment.

Arrived early, as all the children are on their school-break period so the roads were nice and clear.

Got called in pretty quick to have the needle stuck in the back off my hand.....I dunno what it is with me and needles, but I seem to be able to put the pain to the back of my mind as they're slowly inserting it. They then go through a checklist of any other conditions / allergies I may have.

Once this was completed I then get told I have to get out off my clothes and stick on the Hospital dressing gown, put my "normal" clothes in the locker, and then return to the waiting area.

I get back to the waiting area, and notice that one off the nurses are calling other patients in the waiting area, one-by-one into another room. They then return and the patient is putting their "normal" clothes back on and heading off.....what's happening ?? I then overhear the nurse telling another patient on the way to the room "there's been a bit off a cock-up..."

Oh great, here we go, what's happened this time, I start thinking.

Eventually I get called into the room - as I walk in I can tell something is wrong :
"Please take a seat" she says. "There's been a bit off a cock-up.....we should have cancelled all the appointments Today as the Consultant who carries out the examinations is on his Holiday"

"Oh great", I think to myself - this is all I need !

"However, we have managed to call on another Consultant from another Hospital and he should be with us within 1 1/2 hours if you're willing to wait. Otherwise we can book you in for another day"...

I begin to ask myself, "do they seriously think I wanna go through the Klean-Prep phase again ?!?"

..."no, it's fine, I'll erm...wait"

10:40 - I overhear that the Consultant is here....yeeeehah.....come on, come, on, let's get it over with. He calls me into a room <gulp>

"Hi, my name is Doctor (something, I can't remember) - I'll be carrying out the examination. Have you read all the leaflets, and are completely aware off what's gonna be done ?"

"Yeah, no problem Doc....where's the form, I'll just sign it....let's get this over with"

"I need to point something out first. In worst case scenario's, we could pierce through the inner wall of your intestines as we take a biopsy, which will cause a rupture. But if this happens, we'll then have to carry out a blood transfusion, and then we'll keep you in overnight......but this is only in very rare occasions that this will EVER happen".

<gulp>

"Okay, no probs Doc." <signs paper>

He then takes me into the room, where I am greeted by about 4 other Doctor's & Nurses. "Take your gown off and lie on the bed please....no, not like that....just on your side revealing your butt, we don't need to see anything else". <whoops>

They then strap on the blood pressure monitor, and start injecting the sedative.

Wow....everything's going a li'l slower, but easier.

"Hey Nurse ! Can I have my glasses back please, I wanna watch this on the monitor"

IN GOES THE TUBE

Amazing !!! "I can see my insides.....ooh look, what's that ?"

"That's your Azathioprine.....proves they're reaching the correct place"

"Hey Bob, can you give me a hand and press on his stomach". "Yeah, no probs Doc"

"Woooooah !! WHAT THE F... ?!? Okay, I can't breathe....I'm gonna give birth"

20 minutes later the biopsies were taken, and tube removed.

They then wheel the bed into another resting area, where I get offered a coffee/tea/water. "I'll have coffee please, I need life in me", <I croak>

10 minutes later I feel as though I can run a marathon ?

So, the moral of the story ? : don't believe all you read. I was supposed to be on another planet for 24 hours. And if you do have to have this done to you at anytime, don't sweat it - the examination was completely painless. All I have now is a bloated feeling, which my stomach embarassingly keeps reminding be about ! But hey, I can have real food again now... :cheers:

The End :D

So, it all worked out in the ... end?

Thank you, thank you... I'll be here all day... :D

:pop:

Ok Tee Tees, all cell phone are off, the light are dimmed....

[censor]bathroom scenes[/censor]

ROLL FILM!

LOL......I was gonna start it off with...."it all began when I was born", but thought - hey that wouldn't be fair on the other's who wanted to post something. I'll just clog up the site with that :D;)

But Hey, Birdbomb - just for you.....Bathroom Scenes, part 1 :
I was sat alone on a comfortable sofa, watching lunchtime TV, drinking my 2nd dose of Klean-Prep. I really dunno if I'm gonna be able to take another 2 sachets of this stuff when I'm done on this one - it really is NOT the best tasting stuff I've drank.

Okay, there goes my stomach again <groan>...I feel it cramping, and take deep breaths. This time it's not going away.

RUUUUUUUNNNNN !!!!

"I think I'm gonna have a baby - Oh My GODDDD !!!"

....just think off the money I'll receive if I can give birth - I'M A MAN !!!!

Step 1 : "Come on button, come on zip, don't waste any more time" (sits down on the pan)

"OHHHHHH YESSSSS"....."I think it's a Boy"......"Hey, that ain't supposed to happen"

15 minutes later : ziiiiiipppp ! Job done. <stomach groans>....."Oh boy, here we go again" (back to step 1) :star:

OMG! :giveup: I didn't mean a blow-by-blow of the loo!
We all have enough imagination for that! UGH! :oops:

7d8ed22a.jpg

You are too much. I had tears in my eyes
from laughing so hard, I loved how TT put
it all so "elaborately".

:lol:

But I hope the results all comes out negative
and you're clean as a whistle! :)

Someone make a request?...

I could NOT resist this one...(Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon")!
:pfft:

Last edited:
You are too much. I had tears in my eyes
from laughing so hard, I loved how TT put
it all so "elaborately".

:lol:

But I hope the results all comes out negative
and you're clean as a whistle! :)

I aim to please Brain : glad it made you laugh.....I had tears in my eyes too, but that was when he inserted that damn 7 foot long tube up my *"&£^ !!

I dunno why though, but I feel real strange now (3 days after the examination). I dunno how to put it really, part depressed....not really feeling like the "old" me.....it's as if I've morphed. My Mum reckons it's to do with the anaesthetic, and the after-effects, but I'm not convinced.

Anybody else ever felt like this after an examination / operation ?

Back
Top Bottom