Wellbutrin and Lamictal

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Bella2010

New
Reaction score
I've had issues with depression and anxiety since I can remember. I have tried to deal with it on my own my entire life with no success. I'm tired of trying to pull myself up by the bootstraps. I had a one year check up with my neuro earlier this week and asked him about antidepressants and Lamictal. He said he's never had any problems with his patients taking antidepressants and anti-seizure meds and suggested Wellbutrin. I started reading about possible side effects and saw where Wellbutrin can lower the seizure threshold.

I'm just kind of confused and was wondering if anyone had any experiences mixing the two? Anybody take another antidepressant with Lamictal?

ETA: I am very well controlled at 600 mgs Lamictal.

Thanks so much!

Beth

Last edited:
A few years ago an epileptologist advised me to avoid Wellbutrin because of the possibility of a lowered seizure threshold. At the time I was discontinuing Lamictal. I urge you to get a second opinion. Good luck.

I've dealt with depression and E for years, too. My neuropsychiatrist said the best for me is a Tri-cyclic anti-depressant is better to go along with the AEDs. I was told also not to take Wellbutrin along with my AEDs. Lamictal is a drug that is also used as a mood stabilizers. I took it years ago for E, but also took a tricyclic anti-depressant, Pamelor (Nortiptyline). Now I take Topamax for E (also used as a mood stabilizer) + Keppra. I take Zoloft for the depression. It is a SSRI anti-depressant.

Wellbutrin will lower the seizure threshold in anyone. My neurologist has told me this and it's my professional experience as well. I would also suggest another opinion, maybe a psychiatrist?

Wellbutrin will lower the seizure threshold in anyone. My neurologist has told me this and it's my professional experience as well. I would also suggest another opinion, maybe a psychiatrist?

As I said in my post, I saw a neuropsychiatrist. So perhaps Bella should try to find a neuropsychiatrist. If not a neuropsychiatrist, then yes, a psychiatrist.

Last edited:
Thank you all so much for the advice. I greatly appreciate it. Yeah, I think it might be time to find a new neuro. My neuro is really nice, but sometimes I just don't think he's up on everything he should be. There's a doc at OU Medical Center in Oklahoma City who specializes in epilepsy I'm thinking about seeing. Part of me just thinks I should suck it up as far as the anxiety and depression thing goes because it makes me nervous taking two medications that both deal with brain chemistry, so IDK what I'll do.

Thanks again!

Beth

Back
Top Bottom