What do you think?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

renee97

New
Reaction score
OK, so you walk to the bus stop on a cold overcast day and just one block away you see the bus go right by and you know you will be waiting another 15 minutes. Great!
You have waited about five minutes and a "gentleman" who could be anywhere from 50- 65 walks up and he starts a conversation. This is rare! I mentioned that I have to take the bus as I do not own a car and have epilepsy. He says his car was stolen and he is taking the bus and, oh, yes,
"I have epilepsy too. But it is under control."

Happened today. Despite what you may or may not have heard about Minnesota, most people do not just walk up and start talking to strangers at bus stops. I had to think about this, and I came to the conclusion that either he was telling the truth, that he is on leave from a job due to epilepsy, or he made the entire story up to keep the conversation going! In other words I had and still have serious doubts that he was being truthful!
Renee

November is .... National Epilepsy Awareness Month

A lot of people are coming OUT OF THE
SHADOWS

The awareness is becoming - and very strong!
And NO what had happened wasn't unusual
at all. I've received comments, and stories from
total strangers from all ages and all levels of
society - retired to professions to homemakers.

Well.........

On the one hand, he could have 'fancied you' or been lying just to talk to you as TeeTees mentioned...but as long as it didn't get 'physical' or 'threatening' I would think that would've made a mundane bus ride more interesting for once!

On the other hand, the fact epileptics are opting for different modes of transportation...but wait?.....he said he owned a car but it was 'stolen', right?........
okay, I'm with TeeTees on this one.
:agree:

IMO, for someone to claim they have epilepsy to a complete stranger, they either are:
  1. playing a confidence game
  2. having a touch of Münchausen syndrome
  3. or are telling the truth

To me it sounds a little bit too convenient, but maybe he was being honest. On the other hand I would LOVE to find someone local who is in my boat. And I totally understand feeling odd about people talking to you at the bus stop. I can't drive either, and some times I hate standing there. People start talking and commenting about the kids, and I am like "Go Away...Far away." If i wanted you to know their names, ages and stuff I would have told you.

To me it sounds a little bit too convenient, but maybe he was being honest. On the other hand I would LOVE to find someone local who is in my boat. And I totally understand feeling odd about people talking to you at the bus stop. I can't drive either, and some times I hate standing there. People start talking and commenting about the kids, and I am like "Go Away...Far away." If i wanted you to know their names, ages and stuff I would have told you.

LOL.....why don't you just put stickers on the kids, stating their names & ages ? :pfft:

I'm sticking by my guns, and saying that renee pulled :rock:

Yeah woudn't that be easier?? :tup: My Dh drives city bus, and we live close to one of the stops. So I have some of the people that are "obsessed" with the drivers trying to figure out who their family is, where they live...

And I am sorry, not to sound rude but there are a bunch that I don't want to know anything about us. As it is we have 2 people that know, and will ride their bikes back and forth in front of our house. Over the summer she followed us to McDonalds, and then to the park and sat and watched my kids play.

Yeah woudn't that be easier?? :tup: My Dh drives city bus, and we live close to one of the stops. So I have some of the people that are "obsessed" with the drivers trying to figure out who their family is, where they live...

And I am sorry, not to sound rude but there are a bunch that I don't want to know anything about us. As it is we have 2 people that know, and will ride their bikes back and forth in front of our house. Over the summer she followed us to McDonalds, and then to the park and sat and watched my kids play.

Hmmm.....some people are a little toooo friendly for my liking too. I just like to have a bit off 'me' time on occasions, and those sort of people don't allow it ! That's why I tend to wear my walkman when I'm down the gym (hehe)

Whoa - before you pull the trigger ... consider this!

Well - Hold your guns on this one:

My car was DESTROYED and literally wiped
out on June 28th due to a Sheriff's Pursuit.
I HAD A CAR; I would have taken a bus, but
we don't have a bus route. So I have to really
rely on my bicycle.

NOW if I was on a bus, I would have stated
the same thing ... I've been labeled as "too
friendly" at times; but that's because of the
progression / decline. My son has to restrain
me at times to get me to "shut up".

Would that make me a Liar?

I'm sorry - I side with the man on this case.

There's quite a few folks here that knows
about my son and I who were victims of such
episode of this year ~ we have no vehicle and
I can no longer drive at this time. So there are
and is "unfortunate" episodes...

So in my humble opinion ...

GIVE THE OTHER PARTY A BENEFIT OF DOUBT!

Well, here's my :twocents:

:einstein:I think you need to rely on your own inner instincts here. Were bells and alarms going off in you head? Did the hair stand up on the back of your neck? Erring on the side of caution may be correct here.

But....

Some people, like to just talk. If I were waiting at a bus stop and you have a pulse and draw breath, chances are I will strike up a conversation with you. I won't tell you my life story but I will chat just to pass the time. :pfft:

I do this all the time, no matter where I go. Standing in lines, at the doctor's office. But then I also have total strangers come up to me and start talking all the time. So I don't think it all that unusual. But if my radar is wailing, I'll get clear of that person ASAP. I trust my instincts, belive me I have been stalked too many times! :secret:

The guy could have been innocent and just wanted to talk to another human. Lots of lonely people in this world.
:|

Back
Top Bottom