What factors help you with seizure control?

What factors have helped you attain (at least some) seizure control?

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

???

Please explain. How can physical anything cause emotion?
I think I may have psychological trauma, but not sure as to what you mean.

further question

I think I may have psychological issues.
The harassment and teasing I got when I was a kid, plus the nonsense I endure from certain people makes me want to stay in a shell, and avoid these certain people because they don't want to get educated. They feel they are educating me because I am (somehow) evil.
My closest friends know about me, and that is fine.

Shelley, you have some say in your life! Those that are mean to you have power only if you give them that power. It is my experiance that when challenged or riticuled I try to 'kill 'em with kindness'. That seems to knock them off balance more than anything else. If all attempts fail then it is time to eliminate their opportunity to strike by telling them that they are toxic to your health and you do not wish to engage in their toxic ways.Period!!:e:

Physical health, organic causes, can cause psychological problems.
There is current research that schizophrenia is caused by autoimmune issues. ADHD, Autism, OCD, etc are also being reversed by figuring out the organic cause. More and more Rebecca's therapist is referring patients to nutritionists to help treat psychological issues. I have read evidence of psychosis, and amnesia being caused by hypoglycemia. So the brain / gut connection is very clear.

Of course talking things out in a safe environment certainly does help. Working with a professional as to how to deal with harassment and teasing, is very important. Finding constructive ways to turn this act into a positive is also necessary. I agree with you PS, I love the "kill with kindness" attitude. I suggest that to Rebecca often. If it isn't seizures, it is being too small, or having the wrong color hair, or crooked teeth, or....... fill in the blank.

Last edited:
kindness kills

Nope, I tried being nice, and they think that I have accepted their rudeness. I am trying to find other departments to work in. But my boss is part of the problem.

I use polytherapy right now (Keppra and Tegretol XR) and try to get a sleep pattern down well. Taking meds on time is sometimes trouble due to forgetting or getting caught in something.. oops.

Take care everyone

For me the biggest thing in controlling my seizures was to greatly reduce my number of caffeinated drinks. That and to stop taking Benadryl.

Hi, I started with the seizure meds. I am on 5 of them, Lamictal, Neurontin, clonazepam, mysoline and Keppra.

Staying away from processed foods as much as possible is a must. We eat out about 2 or 3 times a month, which keeps me away from the chemicals that would love to entice my brain into a seizure. So we eat at home alot, my pantry being sparse with boxes or can goods. In turn, it keeps me healthier. For about 25 years I was on Dilantin capsules, then after my hormonal disaster of having my ovaries removed, my primary care physician put me on liquid Dilantin. I am convinced this has helped, the delivery is quicker into the system. What used to cause me much anxiety, like OMG if I go to sleep I will seize! Now knock on wood, does not happen - something has changed. Keeping my electrolytes in check is a must, this and my hormones have been my biggest trigger. I live in the south so I watch my time out in the heat. I have met the enemy and it is me - ANXIETY is the redheaded step child just waiting for me to give it attention by seizing. I do not give in like I used to, but it still haunts me.

For me it was RTL and I was seizure free for 4 years and now I have nocturnal complex partials. No more Tonic Clonics (knocking on wood)! The magnesium "Natural Calm" has been helping me out tremendously. I take 1 tsp. in my morning smoothie and 2 tsp. before bed. I also take 1 tsp. of Coconut Oil in my morning smoothie and have been implementing dietary changes as well. The magnesium has definitely been beneficial. I currently take no anti seizure meds. Although I'm not 100% controlled I really think the double dose (just recently started the double dose before bed) of Natural Calm Mag. at night is helping to do the trick. Plus, I take 4000 IU of Vit. D as well as a B-100 and an extra B12.

My seizure rate has cut down a lot, like only one mild one in two weeks. mostly it was no fast food at all. and cutting down on soda's. It means going home while out running out errands. but I think I will survive. :)

My seizure rate has cut down a lot, like only one mild one in two weeks. mostly it was no fast food at all. and cutting down on soda's. It means going home while out running out errands. but I think I will survive. :)

:agree:

GOing on MAD gave my daughter back her life. Meds did nothing to help and only seemed to make thngs worse.

joan*

Hi Joan, what do the letters MAD stand for?

Ruth

Modified Atkins Diet. They have been studying it a few years for seizure control. It has worked wonders for my daughter.

joan*

I believe they have it in the Social Groups. Do you belong to it there? I belong to the Creative Writing Page. I am not very creative, but I enjoy it.

For me the biggest thing in controlling my seizures was to greatly reduce my number of caffeinated drinks. That and to stop taking Benadryl.

I also need to add that now that I have been diagnosed with sleep apnea I have noticed that my sleep is noticeably better with the CPAP machine. I am still getting a hang of using it so I am hoping it will even get better. The sleep center said I stopped breathing seven times an hour. So that must have been one of the reasons for the increase in the number of seizures the last three years.

GOing on MAD gave my daughter back her life. Meds did nothing to help and only seemed to make thngs worse.

joan*

Very interesting. I never questioned that diet could play a big role in Epilepsy.

Hi forward,

What helps me is melody music and resting.

Back
Top Bottom