What first triggered your epilepsy, if known? (i.e. first seizure)

What first triggered your epilepsy, if known? (i.e. first seizure)

• Born with epilepsy

Votes: 27 9.8%
  • Had an accident (e.g. car accident)

Votes: 37 13.4%
  • Brain damage (e.g. Brain tumors, stroke, heart attack, infectious diseases)

Votes: 37 13.4%
  • Hormonal changes (e.g. PMT)

Votes: 11 4.0%
  • Allergy (e.g. food allergy)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Brought on by stress / tiredness

Votes: 31 11.2%
  • Eating too little / too much

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Withdrawal from drugs - chemist or other

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • Other

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Not sure

Votes: 89 32.2%

• Total voters

George__

New
Reaction score
Stress of high school or mixture of growing up + puberty? I was seizure free and showed no signs until my mid high school year, around the time when I started to worry more about my future.

Last edited:

AlohaBird

New
Reaction score
Mine was a "perfect storm" of sleep deprivation, excess sugar and caffeine, and major stress. (Pulling a "all nighter" during senior year at college with a stack of chocolate bars and a pot of espresso.)

Garbo

New
Reaction score
Mine was a "perfect storm" of sleep deprivation, excess sugar and caffeine, and major stress. (Pulling a "all nighter" during senior year at college with a stack of chocolate bars and a pot of espresso.)
Oh my god, that's absolutely terrifying, especially since so many students do that.

Mine is most likely a hereditary form, but triggered by a TBI/severe concussion I had when I was eight so I put brain injury.

Shelley

New
Reaction score
Brain damage we think, from a lack of oxygen when I was born. I inhaled amniotic fluid and had to have my lungs pumped.

That sounds familiar, as I too was born not breathing.
I also think that it was exasperated by chicken pox, as I had to be taken to the doctor and given gamma globulin for a high fever and seizures.
My medication wasn't changed at all until I was an adult and started being more proactive in my personal care.