What first triggered your epilepsy, if known? (i.e. first seizure)

What first triggered your epilepsy, if known? (i.e. first seizure)

• Born with epilepsy

Votes: 27 9.8%
  • Had an accident (e.g. car accident)

Votes: 37 13.4%
  • Brain damage (e.g. Brain tumors, stroke, heart attack, infectious diseases)

Votes: 37 13.4%
  • Hormonal changes (e.g. PMT)

Votes: 11 4.0%
  • Allergy (e.g. food allergy)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Brought on by stress / tiredness

Votes: 31 11.2%
  • Eating too little / too much

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Withdrawal from drugs - chemist or other

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • Other

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Not sure

Votes: 89 32.2%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Stress of high school or mixture of growing up + puberty? I was seizure free and showed no signs until my mid high school year, around the time when I started to worry more about my future.

Last edited:
Mine was a "perfect storm" of sleep deprivation, excess sugar and caffeine, and major stress. (Pulling a "all nighter" during senior year at college with a stack of chocolate bars and a pot of espresso.)

Mine was a "perfect storm" of sleep deprivation, excess sugar and caffeine, and major stress. (Pulling a "all nighter" during senior year at college with a stack of chocolate bars and a pot of espresso.)

Oh my god, that's absolutely terrifying, especially since so many students do that.

Mine is most likely a hereditary form, but triggered by a TBI/severe concussion I had when I was eight so I put brain injury.

Brain damage we think, from a lack of oxygen when I was born. I inhaled amniotic fluid and had to have my lungs pumped.

That sounds familiar, as I too was born not breathing.
I also think that it was exasperated by chicken pox, as I had to be taken to the doctor and given gamma globulin for a high fever and seizures.
My medication wasn't changed at all until I was an adult and started being more proactive in my personal care.

Back
Top Bottom