What first triggered your epilepsy, if known? (i.e. first seizure)

What first triggered your epilepsy, if known? (i.e. first seizure)

• Born with epilepsy

Votes: 27 9.8%
  • Had an accident (e.g. car accident)

Votes: 37 13.4%
  • Brain damage (e.g. Brain tumors, stroke, heart attack, infectious diseases)

Votes: 37 13.4%
  • Hormonal changes (e.g. PMT)

Votes: 11 4.0%
  • Allergy (e.g. food allergy)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Brought on by stress / tiredness

Votes: 31 11.2%
  • Eating too little / too much

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Withdrawal from drugs - chemist or other

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • Other

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Not sure

Votes: 89 32.2%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Im not 100% sure, probably never will be, but all my issues started about 2 weeks after I had wisdom tooth pulled at 25 years old. Really wish i knew for sure, because this condition blows.

I was also born with it with no real cause that the docs can think of but I only started having them in 7th grade.

i also had teeth pulled out a few years ago. This was when I was already diagnosed with
epilepsy. i had a seizure right when the dentist was pulling out my teeth. I don't remember
anything because I was knocked out from the gas. I'm not sure if you''ll have more, but I think the numbing gas might have something to do with causing seizures unfortunately
gabbyg2000

I didnt have a seizure during the the extraction it was a few weeks after they started and have never stopped. Im finally getting treatment now though so hopefully all will be well.

I put down not sure, but I was told by my parents that I was dropped when I was a baby by my uncle and landed on my head. But it could just be the luck of the draw.

I didnt have a seizure during the the extraction it was a few weeks after they started and have never stopped. Im finally getting treatment now though so hopefully all will be well.
well I'm glad they sorted it out and I hope that theyve found a way to prevent them from happening :)
gabby2000

not a clue , wish i knew then maybe something better could be done about it , but i guess im lucky in the sense that it's not been caused by a tumor or brain damage that caused more severe problems or worse .... it is what it is right ? maybe one day they'll figure it out

not a clue , wish i knew then maybe something better could be done about it , but i guess im lucky in the sense that it's not been caused by a tumor or brain damage that caused more severe problems or worse .... it is what it is right ? maybe one day they'll figure it out
im sure they will sometimes it takes docs to figure out whats wrong than others :) and I just think to my self when I feel down about everything I remember it could always be worse
gabbyg2000

i had chichen pox and after that only i had the symptoms of Epilepsy. thats it!

I've never been sure...had absence seizures at 11 years, moving on to tonic-clonic at 12 years. No particular trigger I could nail down that first time, and nothing showed up in my CAT scans...it's a mystery!

Im not 100% sure, probably never will be, but all my issues started about 2 weeks after I had wisdom tooth pulled at 25 years old. Really wish i knew for sure, because this condition blows.

I have 2 of them,did it really hurt?

The doctor toled me with a smile on his face that he needs to cut my cheek bones and the bone itself or something to get the wisdom tooth out since when its on the lower jaw surgery needs to be done and im scared as hell..... :p

I was born with it is what i remember, i am over 55 and that is all i ever remember having is seizures every month for my whole life so far. One thing is i do not know when a seizure is ever coming on, i just know when i am coming out of it that i had a seizure.:e:

Wish I knew what triggered mine. Still trying to figure it out. I'm thinking it might be Celiac Disease/Several food allergies.

Last edited:
I had the chicken Pox. Lovely. But the docs think I had it brfore the high fevers came on. It's just that they just kept coming and coming on and on . Dumb things.

The is NO explanation or my epilepsy

I had my first seizure in my sleep one year ago when I was 20. I had been on a flight the night before over to NY and it was 5hrs long but honestly I have been travelling my whole life since I was a baby even been to Australia on a 24hr flight, I go to NY every year for the last 4yrs so I've done this 5hr flight many times and it never seemed to harm me in the past so I don't think this was the trigger but who knows.

I woke up already sitting up to my bf staring at me with a scared expression on his face and when I tried to speak..well you know what its like sore swollen tongue it just doesn't work

I had another one a month later so I went to my gp who got me a bunch of hospital bookings.

In the end my bloods were normal, my MRI scan was normal so no brain injuries, blood clots and no tumours or anything like that. My EEG on the other hand had a bunch of spikes in it showing I do have epilepsy.

There is no family history on either side, I never had a seizure as a child so I wasn't born with it..basically the doctor told me that this is common for women in the bracket of about 18 years - 25 years to just develop it and that there is very little known as to why this happens it just does

I was happy to at least have a diagnosis for the two seizures I had and a medication that could help. I've had 4 other seizures since then in the last 11 months so I'm not as bad as most people seem to be, I guess i'm somewhat lucky.

Last edited:
It can suck no matter how big or small or if you have had them since you were a kid or since yesterday. I'm sorry it happenned to you. Teresa

Had the red measles at 7, high fever with hallucinations.

I felt weird as a kid. Daydreams, does not pay attention in class, does not follow directions, does not interact well with others, and so on was on my report card-along with sucky grades. Something was not right!!

At age 11 had my first Grand mal, as the medical community called it then - 1969 - right after my 1st period. I surmise I had a kindling going on prior to the big one. Idiopathic was my cause (none). As a veteran, I have learned so much. good and bad. My Mother to this day, will hardly discuss my E. (she is 80). She told me for the first time this summer she felt guilty, like it was her fault! The only thing that was bad about it growing up was no one talked about it, and I felt like it was something for me to be ashamed of. No more! Even when I went status in 03', nothing was determined what my cause was, except for triggers.

While I was diagnosed with petit mal (late 50's-early 60's) chicken pox made mine worse.
My seizure did not get worse when I had my periods, but the rest with the social denialism (my parents were ashamed of me, and taught me to be ashamed) was my experience as well.

I was diagnosed only about 3-4 years ago, when I had my first seizure they told me it was stress and then when I had my third tonic-clonic I started having tests. I have an two cysts on my brain one is an Arachnoid cyst which isn't doing anything and the other is a cyst (which has an immensely long name and I can't remember how to spell it) which is located somewhere around the Hippocampus and the Amygdala. It's caused some atrophy so technically I do have brain damage. But, from the scans I've had since being diagnosed it hasn't grown or caused any more atrophy.
I had a seizure recently which I posted about because I thought I had it all under control and then suddenly I wake up with a throbbing tongue and find out I had a tonic-clonic. Super annoyed..

Back
Top Bottom