What is happening here?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I'm not sure what you mean by not "convulsing perse". If you were unconscious , how can you be sure that you weren't convulsing. Was someone with you ? I had a similar problem . I had an attack of Status on a train i was taking to get back to university after the holidays. I was drowsy and zoned out when the attack started and when i woke up , i just thought i had fallen asleep . Then i saw a puddle of vomit on the floor of the train and made a grossed out face , thinking " who's the inconsiderate person who couldn't get to a bathroom when there's oe right behind us on the train?" Then i noticed my girlfriend was looking at me funnily and i asked her who had puked and she said " you". I have never been so freaked out. She described in detail what had happened and we got to a hospital as soon as the train stopped. Some neurologists prescribe a drug that can help in out of the way situations , ie if you are far from medical help. Mine gave me a strip of clobazam ("Frisium") and asked that i have it on me at al times so if i think i had status i could pop them in .Ask your neuro about this.

BTW , there are no impositions here. Feel free to pummel me with questions at your leisure:)

Hello Dr. My experience with several of my neurologists is that although they might know a mountain of information about me and my prognosis, I DON'T. I knew nothing about SE until I came here. I had many seizures in a row (first time I've ever had more than one seizure at a time) this August not more than 5 minutes apart for nearly 1 1/2 hours, according to my husband. Because of my experience at our local hospital, I had asked him before not to take me there again. To make a long story short, he didn't take me. When I told my CNP at OSU about this, she said "No, it was not SE. It cannot resolve itself" If it wasn't, what was it? I'm sure it was not as long as 1 1/2 hours but I know it was for a great deal of time.

Dear walkslot,
here is the current definition of status:
In early studies, SE was defined by its duration, that is, as continuous seizures occurring for longer than 1 hour. Clinical and animal experiences later showed that pathologic changes and prognostic implications occurred when SE persisted for 30 minutes. Therefore, the time for the definition was shortened. The working group on SE of the Epilepsy Foundation (formerly the Epilepsy Foundation of America) formulated the current definition: "More than 30 minutes of continuous seizure activity or two or more sequential seizures without full recovery of consciousness between seizures." (Dodson, 1993). More recently, authors suggest that SE be defined as any seizure lasting longer than 5 minutes based on natural history data that show typical generalized convulsive seizures that resolve spontaneously after 3-5 minutes (Lowenstein).

So yes , it CAN resolve spontaneously . I had status a few years back on a train with no way to get to a hospital. Mine resolved by the time i reached the destination and i got off the train normally. I was very lucky but it DID resolve spontaneously and it WAS status.I still went to the hospital though and they treated me with the standard protocol.

You may want to check this link : the language is a bit jargon-ish but it's comprehensible
www.emedicine.com/neuro/topic417.htm

Let me know if you need further clarification

Last edited:
Well----I've spent over an hour and a half now reading all the information at emedicine.com, and some of it more than once, and have connected some of the information to a recent hopitalization that even my doctors didn't have an clue about. Acidosis was one of them and a drop in my blood pressure was one of them. But, I believe that "a little knowledge is worse than no knowledge at all". I have a new neurologist in a couple of weeks so, I have printed most of the articles and highlighted several of them to show her to see if she might think some of this might related to that hospitalization that they couldn't find a reason for.

I think (and I'm no doctor) but from what I read, I have clonic seizures not tonic-clonic. My husband says my arms and legs never get rigid and I never stop jerking and the seizures last three or four minutes or longer. All I know is I am totally exausted when they are over and my chest doesn't hurt anymore, and I can finally breathe again. It's so weird ,though, because after these occur, I go several weeks totally free of any kind of seizure and I have all four kinds of seizures, absence, smple partial, complex partial, and I think clonic now.

I think on another thread several of us mentioned that it's kind of nice to have this kind of seizure, though, because we almost feel renewed afterwards.

I hope you establish an office near me so I could become one of your patients.

I had to look up "Kokua". I assume you're from Maui. GREAT WORD:adore:. I LOVE IT !

Aloha, I actually live on Oahu (the gathering place). While I am not native I am kama'aina. The culture here is based on beauty, the land, the laguage, and the culture as a whole. Music and the language are integral. I think even if I move back to the mainland, I will always intermix English with Hawaiian because it is so expresive and gentle. Even 'garbage' sounds better in Hawaiian, 'opala'! Mahalo for for looking it up- you will be a very pono neuro!!!:woot:

Back
Top Bottom