What Job can I get?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

DJKav

Reaction score
I take a lot of medication which makes me really drowsy and unfocused and can't really concentrate. The good thing is that the medication have prevented me from having seizures for over a year, so I have my license back. When I sleep for 10 hours/night for more than 3 days I feel fine, but that's I can sleep at night. What jobs do you think I can do?

It really depends on your experience and your interest.

For me I work in the administration field, for years I couldn't get permanent work because my partial seizures were out of control. All I could get was the odd part time or casual work and then that didn't last so I did alot of voluntary work both to utilise my skills & help with my people skills. I did courses aswell to keep my skills up.

I had surgery in 2011, I was 2 years seizure free when I started having partial seizures again in 2013. But in 2013 I got full time work as a receptionist for a builder. I was there for 4 years until I lost my job in may last year.

I got another job in November as an administration assistant at a cabinet maker.

Last edited:
As CQ said, it's up to your interests and experience.

Me, I've worked in several high risk jobs that could have spelt the end of me if something went wrong.

I've worked in national parks, for ferries at a wharf and as a firefighter (which i still do now albeit on restricted duties)

For the past year and a half, I have been working as a health and safety officer for one of my state's largest bus companies which sees me travel out to depots on a regular basis. They are now training me up to conduct service checks which will see me pretty much working as a paid passenger and running around Sydney.

So if you put your mind to it and your employer is willing, you can do what you are capable of

Hi DJKay,

It all depends on what would interest you. I've been working in public school in Special Education as a Teacher Aide. I have found I can relate very well to some of the students who have neuro. problems. I also have taught a lot of staff about epilepsy and what to do if a person has a seizure.
If you like being around a lot of people you may want to get this type of job and all you need is a high school education.
Wishing you the Best of luck and May God Bless You,

Sue

For the past year and a half, I have been working as a health and safety officer for one of my state's largest bus companies which sees me travel out to depots on a regular basis. They are now training me up to conduct service checks which will see me pretty much working as a paid passenger and running around Sydney.

Pingu
Is that similar to the people who jump onto the trains in Melbourne in between the stations. :roflmao:

The epilepsy clinic where I see my neuro is at Heidelberg so I get a train to main train station in Melbourne then another one to Heidelberg. Sometimes when I’m going to the hospital or back to the main train station I’ll see a couple of conductors jump on the train then either stay in for a little while or get of at the next stop.

Last edited:
For me it took me years to decide what I wanted to do and it wasn’t until I was in my early 20s until I decided (I’m now 40). Back in 2000 I had to do work for the dole which is where the government (Australia) gets unemployed people to do voluntary work (usually for non profit organisations) for 6 months with the chance it may lead to work. Part of my work for the dole was working in an office which I enjoyed so I decided to go to TAFE and get my certificate in administration. This was before my seizures returned, I still had trouble getting work because I didn’t have experience so I started doing voluntary work in admin. Then my seizures returned in 2002 so that made it hard but I didn’t let it get me down.

Ive mainly done front desk reception and admin assistant, the job I have now I’m admin assistant and it’s the 1st job I’ve had where I haven’t been front desk reception which is weird lol.

Last edited:
Might be a good idea to start with part-time work and see how that goes. Do you have computer skills? People skills? Are you a "backroom" person or a front of the house person? Good with numbers? Good with kids? Your aptitudes and preferences might lead you in the right direction. If you can afford to, consider volunteering as a way to ease into a work schedule and create opportunities to network for future paying jobs.

Previously I was a full-time engineer. This involved a lot of programming and hands on work on manufacturing floors or in lab environments. After 3.5 years at my first job in Texas, I decided to move back to Florida and took another, similar job. After 6 months I got laid off. All was not lost because I worked part time as a research assistant at the university. Eventually I found another full-time job as an engineer, however I only stayed for 4 months because my bipolar issues were causing depression to be a major issue. Throughout that job I continued to work part time as a research assistant so that is what I do now. Unfortunately it is just not enough to pay my bills. It is good work, and I enjoy it greatly. If it paid better, I wouldn't have any reason to do anything else. Unfortunately this is the way it goes with academia!

Pingu
Is that similar to the people who jump onto the trains in Melbourne in between the stations. :roflmao:

The epilepsy clinic where I see my neuro is at Heidelberg so I get a train to main train station in Melbourne then another one to Heidelberg. Sometimes when I’m going to the hospital or back to the main train station I’ll see a couple of conductors jump on the train then either stay in for a little while or get of at the next stop.

Haha, pretty much but they want me to do service checks to see how our drivers are going in regards to keeping to the timetable and to count passengers as they get on and off the bus.

Back
Top Bottom