What life was like 100 years ago!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Rae1889

Veteran
Reaction score
Here are some surprising statistics for the Year 1906 :

The average life expectancy was 47 years.

Only 14 percent of the homes had a bathtub.
Only 8 percent of the homes had a telephone.

There were only 8,000 cars and only 144 milesof paved roads.
The maximum speed limit in most cities was 10 mph.

The tallest structure in the world was the Eiffel Tower!

The average wage in 1906 was 22 cents per hour.
The average worker made between $200 and $400 per year .
A competent accountant could expect to earn $2000 per year, a dentist $2,500 per year,
a veterinarian between $1,500 and $4,000 per year, and a mechanical engineer about $5,000 per year.

More than 95 percent of all births took place at HOME .
Ninety percent of all doctors had NO COLLEGE EDUCATION!
Instead, they attended so-called medical schools, many of which
were condemned in the press AND the government as "substandard."

Sugar cost four cents a pound.
Eggs were fourteen cents a dozen.
Coffee was fifteen cents a pound.

Most women only washed their hair once a month, and used borax or egg yolks for shampoo.

Canada passed a law that prohibited poor people from entering into their country for any reason.

The five leading causes of death were:
1. Pneumonia and influenza
2. Tuberculosis
3. Diarrhea
4. Heart disease
5. Stroke

The American flag had 45 stars.
The population of Las Vegas, Nevada, was only 30!!!!

Crossword puzzles, canned beer, and ice tea hadn't been invented yet.

There was no Mother's Day or Father's Day.

Two out of every 10 adults couldn't read or write.
Only 6 percent of all Americans had graduated from high school.

Marijuana, heroin, and morphine were all available over the counter at the local corner drugstores.
Back then pharmacists said, "Heroin clears the complexion, gives buoyancy to the mind,
regulates the stomach and bowels, and is, in fact, a perfect guardian of health." ( Shocking, huh? )

Eighteen percent of households had at least one full-time servant or domestic help.

There were about 230 reported murders in the ENTIRE (!) U.S.A. !

This was forwarded to me from someone else without typing
it himself, and sent it to me and others all over the United States, Canada, and
possibly the world, in a matter of seconds!

Try to imagine what life may be like in another 100 years. (If we even have a world!)

Back then pharmacists said, "Heroin clears the complexion, gives buoyancy to the mind, regulates the stomach and bowels, and is, in fact, a perfect guardian of health."

This was very interesting! I wonder how long it took to discover that heroin is not exactly a multivitamin.

That was good times back then. I wonder if we are not worse off with all of the technology today.
In the late 1800's cocaine was legal. Coca Cola was the "Real Thing." When cocaine was outlawed Coca Cola had to change to caffeine.

Rae, it was an excellent poem.

consider how addictive caffeine is when compared to other things.

"Most women only washed their hair once a month, and used borax or egg yolks for shampoo."

Egg yolks actually work really well as a shampoo. And I think "modern" people wash their hair far too frequently. It isn't good for the hair or the scalp.

I saw a recent post on FB where the blogger advocates baking soda to wash followed by a vinegar rinse. I'm tempted to try it. When I was a teen, my mother had me try the vinegar rinse because they had done that back in the 40s. Worked nicely. This old body is drying up, and I would love to do something to get rid of the itchy scalp I get from regular shampoos. Probably due to the sodium laurel sulfates.

I tried the baking soda and apple cider vinegar for a few weeks once. It was a fun experiment. But my hair is just too oily! Maybe I've been using "real" shampoo for too long.

The baking soda/vinegar thing does work too.

The thing about using shampoo daily is that it strips the natural oil from your scalp and then locks you into a lifetime of using shampoo+conditioner daily. "Rinse and Repeat".

Your hair really is oily. But it is producing oil like crazy like that because of the constant assault (from its POV) of shampoo.

It's hard to go from daily shampoo to no shampoo. Yes, you will be a greasy mess. The only way to do it is to gradually reduce the frequency. Say every other day and then every three days. Your hair and scalp will calm down and stop over-producing oil.

Another thing I find helps is to dilute your shampoo with water. You don't really need to use as much as the shampoo ads would have you believe.

If you are going to use a bottled shampoo, I think it is important to read the ingredients. If you need a chemistry degree to figure it out, it's probably not good for you. General rule for personal care products is that you shouldn't put anything on the outside of your body that you wouldn't be willing to eat.

Because it gets into your body through the skin, your largest organ.

Last edited:
Wash my hair about once every 5-6 days. Still gives me dry scalp. Thus my desire to switch to baking soda and vinegar routine :)

Frank Sinatra just born Albert Einstein here down side ww1.people with epilepsy treated like leppers

What about treating epilepsy in the 1920s:
Fasting and other dietary regimens have been used to treat epilepsy since at least 500 BC. To mimic the metabolism of fasting, the ketogenic diet (KD) was introduced by modern physicians as a treatment for epilepsy in the 1920s. For two decades this therapy was widely used, but with the modern era of antiepileptic drug treatment its use declined dramatically. By the end of the twentieth century this therapy was available in only a small number of children's hospitals. Over the past 15 years, there has been an explosion in the use, and scientific interest in the KD. This review traces the history of one of the most effective treatments for childhood epilepsy.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19049574

And yet anytime someone says something about the KD being a valid treatment option, someone will jump in with the , "That's new and unproven and therefor scientifically invalid" type of comment. SMH

Only people who didn't do their homework say such things. Anyone who takes the effort to google a bit on the keto diet finds 10.000 scientific articles on it.

I posted the quote because it shows how we reinvent things from the past in modern times. Just like washing your hair, people rarely washed their hair 100 years ago, many years later they washed it twice a day and recently we know not to wash it too often.

I am right there with you on the KD but any time I suggest it around here to someone trying to decide on a treatment plan, I get jumped on by a bunch of people and a chorus of, "Take the pills. It's the only way. You will have irreversible brain damage in the next five minutes if you don't!"

I just get a little tired of having to defend as if it were some fringe, "alternative" snake oil type of cure when it really is hard science.

Yes, sometimes we do feel the need to re-invent old wisdom and call it new. :)

I am right there with you on the KD but any time I suggest it around here to someone trying to decide on a treatment plan, I get jumped on by a bunch of people and a chorus of, "Take the pills.

I just get a little tired of having to defend as if it were some fringe, "alternative" snake oil type of cure when it really is hard science.

I have known of the KD diet since I was in my 20's. That was 50 years ago. I have heard a lot of good things said about it. It works for some people. I tried it when I was in my 20's. It did not work for me. It worked for other people at the time and now.

There are a lot of threads in the forum about it.

1960's & 1970's who remembers them?

I was a kid in the 60's and a teen in the 70's.
As I got older my seizures got worse and I had a RTL in Montreal,Canada in 1982.

I was born in 1969, a kid in the seventies, a teen in the eighties and a university student in the early nineties, got my master in 1993. Have my current job since 1994.
Remember those years very well indeed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom