What to take with Keppra for good hair health?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

NaderH

Pillar
Reaction score
What is best to take with Keppra for good health of hair?

The reason I am asking this is because I have noticed that my hair easily falls out while on Keppra. Also, I have noticed thinning of my hair.
I want to return my hair to good health. Any advice would be appreciated.

My aim is to prevent permanent hair loss.

Some seizure meds can interfere with the absorption of Biotin (which helps with hair/skin/nail growth), so you could try a Biotin supplement. It's available over-the counter. Another nutrient that can help with hair growth is folate, which you can get from your diet, or as a supplement (folic acid).

With any supplement it's good to check with your doctor first and also proceed with caution. Because of the way hair growth cycles it can take up to 6 months before you see results.

Forgot to mention -- If you're taking a B-complex vitamin, it may already contain biotin (B7). If you aren't taking a B-Complex you might considerate it, since in general the B vitamins are good for the brain, and B6 can potentially help lessen other Keppra side effects (like mood and sleep issues).

I'm on Keppra and I take a powdered collagen to help connective tissue in the body, but I do understand collagen is also good for hair/nails, but may or may not be what your body needs specifically.

If you also have thinning hair that breaks off when you brush it - look into seeing if you have an iodine deficiency to rule it out if at all possible. I had a severe iodine deficiency and took iodine for it and felt a lot better for a good while. With a swollen thyroid currently, I might be heading down that road again, still trying to get answers to be for certain before I go back on iodine supplementation and if that's what I'm needing.

Keppra is what I like to call "land of vitamin deficiencies".

Forgot to mention -- If you're taking a B-complex vitamin, it may already contain biotin (B7). If you aren't taking a B-Complex you might considerate it, since in general the B vitamins are good for the brain, and B6 can potentially help lessen other Keppra side effects (like mood and sleep issues).
wanted to put my own thoughts in on this. have been taking b-complex for many years due to lower back damage that took place in a car accident. Anyway....under doctor's care, was asked to start B-Complex along with a few other items but as for Biotin, I went right to the supplement also as my epilepsy meds at the time were horrible and causing problems. It was the best thing I could have done.

Hair loss and thinning can be side effects of many medications. Understandably, you want to prevent it from becoming permanent. You may consider talking to your doctor or dermatologist about your concerns. A healthy diet rich in vitamins and minerals can also help promote hair growth.

Have you talked to your doc about it? Sometimes changing your dose or switching medications can help, but it's always best to get the green light from a professional first.
In terms of supplements, biotin, and folic acid are great for hair health. You could also consider adding in vitamins like Vitamin C and E, which are both known to promote hair growth. And make sure you're eating a balanced diet rich in proteins, iron, and healthy fats - all essential for hair health.
Lastly, if you're looking to learn more about taking care of your hair, check out nwcollege.edu - they have a great program on esthetics where you can learn the basics of hair care and maintenance.

Another nutrient I've learned about lately that helps with good hair health is selenium. Most people supposedly get enough from food sources, but some don't, especially if they have gut issues that don't allow for correct absorption of nutrients or have something in their environment or that they're taking that depletes it. Been looking into it more and it has been helping me, too.

A note about Biotin -- if you happen to be taking it when you're having your Vitamin D levels tested it can result in a significant [false] spike in the D results (depending on the kind of test your doctor’s lab uses). That happened to me: My D levels tested unusually high (90), and my doc told me to stop taking my modest D supplement -- until I figured out what had occurred. My bad for not mentioning the Biotin supplement to the doc (though I’m not sure she would have known about the interaction).

Anyway, after 6 months or so, Biotin didn't seem to help, so I;m trying a folic acid supp instead. And I will look into selenium -- you can get it in Brazil nuts. And in certain seafood (which I don't eat enough of).

Back
Top Bottom