What TV do you use?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Dignan

Stalwart
Reaction score
I know we've talked about TVs, LED or otherwise before, but I was curious about what TVs people use that do not give them any issues.

I'm not just talking seizures, but if you just notice any flicker or get headaches or anything.

I was looking at new TVs, and very few are "flicker free" anymore, as they use the insertion of frames to smooth out fast action scenes. I know that this flicker rate is happening so fast that it is not visually detectable, but something about reading flicker free in the literature makes me feel better.

I currently have an 2011 Samsung UND6000SF LED TV that had the ability to turn off that feature, and I haven't had any issues with it causing headaches, seizures or anything else. But, it may be ready to quit, so I am looking at new options.

Part of this is just being careful on my part, so I can make a purchase without worrying about it. Just curious if anyone had more info on this than me..

Mine is a TCL flatscreen. I got it last year to replace my ancient CRT TV. I haven't had any issues with it, but I don't think I'm particularly sensitive to screen flicker.

We have a Sharp flat screen from 2006 which my husband is thinking of replacing later this year.

i have a sony 55' 4k. i got it a year ago, no issues what so ever

but flashing lights isnt a trigger for me, stress n sleep are issues

Thanks everyone. Flickering doesn't automatically give me a seizure either, so I don't think that I'm necessarily photosensitive. However if I'm having an aura (partial) already, then strobe effect can help set me off. But, of course at that point, I could just have one anyway since I'm already having a partial.

Any other time, I just find flashing lights disturbing, in the sense that I wanna look away or they give me a headache. But, those are real flashing lights. With TVs, it is happening so fast that we don't notice it, so I guess I'm just being super careful (i.e., paranoid). I think I'm more concerned about long viewing, like watching a ballgame for a few hours and maybe getting headaches or feeling odd.

It sounds like most of you don't have any issues with flat screen LED tvs though, headaches or otherwise.

Reviving this old thread with the additional question about the size of the TV.

Does a larger screen cause anyone problems? Is a 65 or 75 more likely to cause problems due to filling up more of your field of vision? Or, does it not matter. If you dont have issues with a 45 or 55 inch TV are you likely to be okay with a 65 or 75 inch tv?

How large are your TVs?

It's not the size of the TV, but what you do with it... ;) My TV is about 42", and that seems perfect for me and my living room.

I don't think screen size is an issue if you aren't already known to be photosensitive. You might want to go to a Big Box store and check out the different size screens to see how they feel (unless you are photosensitive to the screens or also the lighting in those stores).

We purchased a 65" Samsung a little over a month ago. We just use a digital antenna & Netflix.

I have a 49" JVC plasma which i got to replace my 32" one. Rooms in the UK i think are a lot smaller than the US, so my TV looks really large in my living room, but i got it for gaming. On the 32" i had to squint pretty hard to be able to read the small writing in games (especially ones like Skyrim where its tiny) and it was giving me headaches and ocular migraines, but i get them a lot less with this tv. There's not much i watch live on TV, but use a Tivo to record stuff to watch when i want to, and use the PS4 for streaming netflix, crunchyroll, amazon prime etc.

I've heard before that sound quality can be an issue with the newer tvs, especially the ultra slimline ones, because there isn't enough room for decent speakers, so they tend to be tinny and are directed out of the back of the TV. That gave me an awful headache until i invested in a soundbar, so i would 100% recommend one!

It's a long way from my first 12" black and white CRT lol

Back
Top Bottom