What type of seizure?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

donnajane

New
Reaction score
Just wondering if you could tell me what type of seizure this sounds like.
My 15month old suddenly falls to the ground, like his power has been cut, he then lies there for a few seconds with a very vacant look in his eyes then its as if his brain is "rebooting" and he is OK again. The thing last under 30 seconds and he is up playing again.
We saw his Nureo today and I forgot to ask what the "official" name for this type of seizure is. His Nureo said this type of seizure has quite probably been there the whole time but its only becomming more obvious and dramatic now that he is standing. Luckily he only has a couple of these a week. I thought Nureo had ruled out Epilepsy as he has had 4 clear EEG's and in his 5th he showed a slowing of his brain waves on the back right of his brain and his eyes rolled with the flashing light but now altered brain waves. He explained that he quite possible could still have Epilepsy and give a diagnosis re this until he's around 2 1/2 till his brain matures more. He also wants to see the results of his MRI to see if it shows a reason for the slower brain waves on the one side of his brain.
Donnajane

Thanks for the info. My sons diagnosis is still eluding his dr's but thankfully they are not giving up their search. His Nureo who is usually very calm and doesn't seem to worry said in a recent letter that he is anxious and worrying which could be about nothing, but I think like us something in his gut is telling him to keep looking. Thankfully we are up to 5 days without one of the seizures where he just suddenly falls. Had a few smaller ones where he was on ground and just put his head down and eyes go vacant for a second or two. Something did happen to him a couple of nights ago and he started screaming, it was just before 11pm, hitting his head and arching back it was horrible, neither my husband or I could calm him, we eventually got some "pain stop medication" into him and around 30min later he calmed down a little and tried to sleep but was still having spasms in his sleep and raspy breathing, he had an unsettled night but thats usual for him. Next day he was he usual self. So now I am back to wondering and worrying what is comming next and when/if it does when do I take him to the ED. I am trying to enjoy my little man but this thought is always in the back of my head as I am sure it is when any child who has a medical issue.

I can't remember -- have they tried him on any medication, or is he still too young for anything like that?

Back
Top Bottom