What was that seizure type again?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

SlimBlue

Account Closed
Inactive
Reaction score
After always having a short aura and then into generalised secondary tonic clonic every 1-2 months, over the past few years I've started having smaller ones over 3-4 days. When very stressed I could have that every week or fortnight.

I still get the same quick aura, lose conciousness, and will usually have a tonic clonic during the 1st or 2nd seizure in the group, but more often than not the other 2 will be much milder, with the last being very mild, and tbh I really don't know what to call it.

I had one of these today. I felt the aura, but then to me it just stopped- as if I didn't have a secondary seizure. I didn't notice any (more) cheek damage, but I'm still feeling tingly from yesterday's so I really can't tell if I had one, or if I was post-ictal and I'm not sure if there was a time gap.

At this point I know Occam would say, well no you didn't have one- but I always have a secondary.

If it was a t-c then it must have been very very mild and short enough for me not to notice the time gap, or post-ictal phase, so I guess my questions are:

Is it possible to have such a mild t-c that you don't notice it? And is it possible to have an aura and then an absence? I've had a few absences in the past and I've never experienced an aura before one.

Has anyone else? Or can anyone think what it might actually be?

SlimBlue

From what I know and I am no doctor it is possible to have a t/c and not notice it, a tonic clonic is a combination and this is what most of us know but you can have a tonic and not realise it because of the lack of movement or massive jerks. A tonic on its on usually lasts between 15 and 20 seconds.

Like I said I am no doctor, just what I was told.

Cheers Fedup. I was wondering if it was that as well, but in all the descriptions it says conciousness is usually preserved- which is what got me on to thinking about absences instead.

It's so hard to tell when you're still feeling like crap from the previous one :(

If it was a t-c then it must have been very very mild and short enough for me not to notice the time gap, or post-ictal phase, so I guess my questions are:

Is it possible to have such a mild t-c that you don't notice it? And is it possible to have an aura and then an absence? I've had a few absences in the past and I've never experienced an aura before one.

Has anyone else? Or can anyone think what it might actually be?

Just because you don't notice time passing doesn't mean it's a short time. I had a seizure where I was walking & saw a bus stop at least yards ahead of me. I had a little seizure & in the blink of an eye I was suddenly standing past the bus stop. I have no awareness of walking that distance but just because I'm not aware of or have no recollection of it doesn't mean it was a short or small seizure.

I know I tend to feel there is no time gap & if I notice one (like when I'm walking & notice a change in landmarks) it definitely feels like it's "nothing" but I've learned otherwise.

Cheers epileric. I was just presuming it was mild/short because of the lack of physical damage, and that I didn't seem to feel worse after it. But I was still feeling quite rough from the others so I really don't know. I was in bed, with no music/tv and I can't really remember what happened after the aura- but then my memory's shot anyway lol

I guess it's possible that with these groups, maybe I don't always generalise these days- especially after the light 3rd ones. Maybe the increase in lamtrogine a while ago does stop a few of them generalising. I just don't really have anything to judge them by.

My brain's mashed atm, maybe I'm just over complicating things..

My brain's mashed atm, maybe I'm just over complicating things..

I find when my bran is mashed like that everything is more complicated hence I make them even more complicated than that.

I try to stay in the habit of postponing dealing with anything too serious or anything that requires logical too much thinking when I'm in that state.

Hahaha now that's good advice :)

I just wanted to record it in my diary for my new neurologist- but then I realised I wasn't actually sure what had happened.

Usually it's very clear cut for me- I know when I've had a monthly t-c, but these milder ones I'm beginning to realise unless it's a t-c with the usual effects, I'm just not sure what they are, or even how they affect me.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with things not being clear.... it is a seizure after all.

Just make sure you record how things weren't clear, that's what's important IMO.

Yeah very good idea. I've done that and I'm calling it quits on my journal taking for the day lol

Hopefully after a nice long rest, I might be able to get more of a grasp on it looking back tomorrow..

Sometimes before a complex partial I will have a simple partial. Other times I'll just go right into the complex partial with no warning and not even know I had it. Recently I was at a restaurant eating and just went right into the complex. My husband said I kept trying to push him out of the seat so I could go to the bathroom. When I came out of it all I knew I had been sitting in the seat eating.

Usually during a complex partial I'll just stare off into space, walk around or pick up things and play with them. My husband said that during some of them I will have a mild shake every so often while I'm having it. I don't know if those would be considered a mild tonic clonic (or what ever it would be called) or just something that's normal when I have a seizure.

Back
Top Bottom