What would you do?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Ruth

New
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have been having a lot of seizures, falling down, atonic!!
My last one I hit the dishwasher door, when it was open. I broke the dishwasher. I had fallen on the dishwasher door before but it was still in tact.

My neuo cannot increase my medications without my sleeping all day. I am allergic to many others so she does not want to add more meds.

She told me not to do any housework, unless I can do it with my walker.
She told me that I can wash dishes by hand and fold clothes. That is it!!

These falls are wrecking my memory. My husband bought a new dishwasher. I asked him not too. I was happy doing them by hand. He told me not to use the dishwasher. I am using it anyway. I am doing as much housework as I can.

What would you do if you were in my situation?:e:

I would ask someone to come and help me. Do you have any kids that live near you? Can you ask a neighbor to help or hire someone?

Hi Cint, my husband and son live with me.
My son does a lot of the housework. I do the rest of the housework. At least, I try.
My husband makes money on the internet. He keeps an eye on me.
He does the shopping.

One or the other is always with me and helps me out.

We cannot afford to hire somebody. My neighbors know of my situation, but they do not offer. I do not want to ask them because they work and come home tired.
They are real nice neighbors.

Hi Ruth,

I'm so sorry you're having such a rough time right now.. And sounds like quite a painful fall! But it sounds like you have a very sweet husband :)

Would you allow yourself to tidy the dishes in a pile on the counter and leave them for your husband to put in the dishwasher when he is done working for the day? You could then wash the few things you'd rather do by hand while he's busy, and then you're not risking your safety (and the new dishwashers!) by filling it on your own. If your doctor has said to stop, and your husband is willing to help, let him! I understand wanting to do it, but would you be willing to just save your body (and your wallet) the pain of perhaps falling on it again and focus on other tasks you can safely accomplish on your own?

Hi Katiered,

Thank you for the suggestions. My neurologist has told me that I can do the dishes by hand. My son also puts the dishes in the dishwasher.

The problem is that my neurologist has said that I can only sit down and fold clothes.
I can only do the dishes by hand. That is all that she is allowing me to do. If I cannot do it without holding onto my walker, then I cannot do it.

I cannot just sit around and do nothing all day. I like to do things.
I honestly doubt if my neurologist would be able to do it either. She has told me that I can only do 2 tasks a day.

My husband is very sweet and so is my son.:hugs:

I do not feel that they should have to do everything.

I am can only imagine how you feel. As hard as it is though, you should cut yourself some slack! I am sure that your husband and son are happy to do the chores if it means keeping you safe. Put yourself in their shoes. If it was one of them, wouldn't you pitch in and do all that you could for them? Let them do this for you. It probably makes them feel better since there isn't anything that they can do otherwise :) (((hugs)))

Could you sit around and do nothing? I cannot!! That is the problem.

I know my family is willing to do everything.

Chores:
Polishing the silverware? Peeling potatoes?

Or for fun:
Reading? Knitting? Jigsaw puzzles? Taking photographs? Sketching?

Also writing poems -- I know you can do that Ruth!

Hi, since I started having my memory loss and it is getting worse, I have not been able to think up new poems.

The poems that I put in are the same ones that I wrote a few years ago. I have lost my creativity.

I don't blame you! I couldn't sit around either!

What about cleaning the bathroom, counter and toilet etc. but leave the tub. Washing windows that aren't hard to reach (can still keep walker with you, easy to keep a hand on it), dusting, swiffering floors (can be done one handed unlike sweeping, or they have really cheap vacuum sticks, mines like a dust buster with a vacuum head tat can be pushed around with one hand.)

The other thing is stuff like being on here and helping people is huge. You're not doing nothing by lending an ear and your experience to those who are in need of it! Also, there's lots of things you could get involved in like a quick google search just brought this up: http://www.hugsandhope.org/ where you write letters to sick kids!

Hope some of those ideas can work for you, I can't imagine how frustrating it is being so limited in what you can do. Just being stuck at home as me pulling out my hair :)

Last edited:
:hugs:

I would also be frustrated in your situation. I know I have a hard enough time not being able to drive while living alone, but Nakamova definitely gives some good ideas I think :) And I hope things improve for you!

Also, sounds like your family really loves you, and that's great :)

I don't blame you! I couldn't sit around either!

What about cleaning the bathroom, counter and toilet etc. but leave the tub. Washing windows that aren't hard to reach (can still keep walker with you, easy to keep a hand on it), dusting, swiffering floors (can be done one handed unlike sweeping, or they have really cheap vacuum sticks, mines like a dust buster with a vacuum head tat can be pushed around with one hand.)

Hi Katiered, you and Nakamova have some great ideas!!:hugs:

The doctor said no to cleaning the bathroom, at all. Did you know that is the most dangerous room in the house for us?

I can do a lot of the things that you suggested ij the house. I can also help people by going door-to-door. I am a Jehovah's Witness and I can help people spiritually. http://www.jw.org That makes a difference in a lot of people's lives. Press on About Us. I can also write letters to people who we cannot find at home. There will come a day when there will be no more sickness and death. Revelation 21:3,4

Hi Everyone,

I have been having a lot of seizures, falling down, atonic!!
My last one I hit the dishwasher door, when it was open. I broke the dishwasher. I had fallen on the dishwasher door before but it was still in tact.

:

I have broken a bathtub faucet when I was showering.

I had one in the kitchen when alone and lucky nothing on the stove, but had a black-eye from the counter and cheek bruise from the table. And i came to on the floor. shit I hate that.

I'd be washing the dishes by hand, instead of using the dishwasher.

your allergic to meds like me.

I'm do what little I can do and remind ppl help out by picking up after themselves.

My son and I were washing the dishes by hand and enjoying it. Our dishwasher was completely broken.

My husband went and bought a new dishwasher. He said that they come cleaner with one. I told him that we get the dishes squeaky clean. He bought a new dishwasher anyway. My son and I take turns using it. Hubby does not use it at all. He is really worried about germs and us getting the flu. He really cares for us.

Katiered, thank you for the suggestions, but it takes me two hands to get things done. Have you ever tried to carry a cup of water or tea with one hand and pull the walker with just one hand? I would spill the water or tea or whatever I was carrying. I have tried it and it just does not work.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Janus, I am sorry about your fall. You know how I feel.

Belinda, I know that you have had your falls. Have they stopped?

Ruth I still haven't had anymore seizures since I stopped the Clonazepam.
Yippee!!

Back
Top Bottom