What's Safer? Implants or Dentures?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

XxBlaqkxX

Stalwart
Reaction score
This is something I've been wondering about. I've unfortunately had to have a lot of dental work and at times. I have a few extraction spots - they aren't super noticeable so I haven't done much about them. The dentist from time to time brings up, "We could do a bridge or an implant if you are interested in that." I don't think at this point I'm going to jump into that with all the other dental work I need done. Although, I'm constantly worried about how many more teeth I might lose at this point.

I've researched implants and materials for those that I would want used as far as that goes, but I'm terrified of it. I've never had an implant before and I'm not sure I want to start on that now. I guess it is nice if you're losing a tooth at a time, though, instead of all your teeth. Not sure I'm wanting the pain that comes with this, either.

I thought that perhaps maybe later in life, if I'm missing all teeth on the top or bot to get a denture for that. I'm also afraid of what I've heard about that, too. Some online stuff says that dentures aren't safe for people with epilepsy (they say some of the teeth could break off or you could choke on it) and if they do have a seizure, someone would need to take them out. My husband had a co-worker with bad epilepsy. She was resistant to most medications and had a full set of dentures. She had on her medical bracelet that she wore dentures on top of her epilepsy.

Is there anyone that has personal experience with dentures or implants? I would like to hear what you all think.

All that I can add, is that auto air bags can (and sometimes DO) knock our dentures deep into our throats.
Read an article about it, once. Not that it's a DAILY occurrence in our Country, but that it's been known to happen, like sunglasses shattering and cutting their wearer's face or damaging an eye.
My Wife's car has passenger air-bags, and I have to wear sunglasses when out. Don't think for a moment that this doesn't make me nervous. :)

Regarding dentures vs. implants, I'm torn as well.
I'm probably a lot older, I usually am (haha) and I'm considering that I have to have a new set. I ground out two molars during a couple of GMs and they just will not fit any longer.
The orthodontist wants me to spend the money on implants, naturally, he gets more $ from the insurance company.
But I've decided to get ALL of my remaining teeth yanked, and full dentures with extended canine teeth just for fun. NOT like vampire teeth, with the points, just think "Dog". Should shock a few people. But then, I still dress in full leathers and a leather Coachman's hat, and carry a sword cane, so the elongated Canines isn't exactly out of character for me. The Wife thinks it will be hilarious.
Call it a "Late Life Crisis". :) He WILL have to put me under general anesthesia though, and THAT bothers me. I hate that very much.
As to the Late Life Crisis, don't judge me. :) It's better than what my Father did.
He got a Harley.
And he wrecked it during an absence episode.

Air bags for sure aren't a joke, they can cause some hefty injuries as well as a result of what they're hitting and at what angle. It's not fool proof.

Haven't thought much about glasses and air bags, but yes, that totally could be a possibility. The denture thing sounds more scary than sunglasses, though, not gonna lie >_<

Sorry to hear about your father's accident. That sounds awful.

Let me know, if you go for the dentures, how it all works out for you! Curious on answers regarding this. I don't think I'll qualify for a full set at this point since the dentist is certain there are cavities that can be filled, but I'm not convinced that's gonna stop the decay - it just buys time. I guess that's why implants are kind of tempting since they've been going a tooth at a time, but the idea freaks me out of having an implant in my jaw bone, and I'd want to opt for non-metal like zirconia.

I hate dental in the USA. I've had so many bad experiences with it and it's soooo expensive. Like, at least there is health insurance, but dental insurance is rarely ever good enough to take the weight of the expenses off.

I go to Mexico for my dental work. There were a few times where I couldn't (like it was harder during COVID when the border was more or less tightly regulated, shut down, or there were looming fears of a shut down) and had to go to a dentist here when I had a tooth that was the worst pain ever, it kept crumbling and I couldn't stop it. A root canal and crown was like my only option ($1,900 USD) besides extraction ($405 USD) so I got it extracted...that's kind of what you do when funds are short.

Although, in Mexico it cost me $80 USD for a filling on one tooth (plus local x-ray) and then another tooth was giving me a lot of issues and it was $90 USD to extract it and have a local x-ray on it. It's cheaper to go down there and get dental work and take care of a tooth here and a tooth there. I know not everyone has that option and it's scary that a lot of people can't afford to get the dental work they need.

Ick, general anesthesia doesn't sound fun. I've never had to do it, thankfully. I know it's a common thing that dentists do for certain procedures, those with dental anxiety, or those that are of a certain age. I don't think I'll ever let 'em do that to me. >_< I want to be awake and aware, but numb. I can't stand the pressure and sound of tooth extractions, though, but I think for me I'd rather be awake than not. If there's a problem, the dentist could tell me, or they can fill me in on what's going on and all that. Although, this tooth extraction on Friday, perhaps the roots were deeper for that tooth than the others or something, but I was super shaky when it was out for like 10-15 minutes? I felt no pain, but the shakes...UGH. Never had that happen before with a tooth extraction, either (I've had 5 other teeth pulled). Not sure what was different about this time.

If being under general anesthesia bothers you, you could probably find a dentist that is willing to use a local numbing agent or ask your current dentist about doing it that way because it makes you feel more comfortable? Or perhaps split it up into a few different appointments? Not sure what would work best for you.

No, see, the teeth that I had crunched left nothing but jagged edged remnants of teeth BARELY at gum-level. What's left, has to come out. No root canals, no caps. So, surgery. Plus the rest have to go, anyway. Sick of the mild, irritating pain of just EATING.
General anesthesia or local, for THIS? I *WANT* to be knocked down for this. Yes they'd do either one, but I have a choice, it just makes me deeply nervous. I am, in fact, going to take my bookbag with my phone in there, and record everything that they say whilst I am out.
I'm not waiting for my teeth to come out one by one. I'm FAR too old for that, and don't have enough time besides.
No, I want to play as much as I can before I go fighting tooth-and-nail into that good night, pun intended, and I want ALL of my teeth gone so that full dentures will be what I'll have, and don't forget the Dog Teeth. Planning to tell the Ortho that I want to KEEP my overbite so that the extended Canines won't interfere with eating.
What is it, with Orthodontists anyway. They need the money THAT badly? Or are they just greedy?
I was told probably a hundred years ago, (who recalls), by a VERY old man with whom I used to hang out, I was in my late teens and we got on the subject of teeth, don't recall why but the VERY WISE MAN told me:
"The dentist is going to want to drill out your sore teeth and cap them, it's called a root canal, you've heard of them, yeah? Well, you look him straight in the eye and tell him to pull the tooth. All that them 'root canals' do, is give you a year or even more if ya lucky, and you'll be guess where? That's right, you'll be right back in the dentist-chair having it re-capped or whatever. It WILL p*ss him off, because he's missing out on A LOT of your money. Pulling teeth is cheapest. But my advice to you is, STAND YOUR GROUND and tell him nice but again and again, 'no thank you Doc, please pull the tooth.' You'll be better off sure enough, and you'll save a TRUCK-full of money in the long run."
Ever since then, that's the way I'd always done it. He was right, too, it would sometimes even visibly ANGER the dentist, but I remembered Cotton's words (everyone called him 'Cotton', I had always assumed it was because of his cool, pure white hair). And I followed that advice.
Now that my teeth are so diseased thanks to whichever medications I'm taking, I want the pain to stop and like I'd already mentioned too many times to count, I want to have some fun. Startle some Receptionists and Cashiers. Shock a few teenagers. Hell, scare some Horses and Dogs. I'm really looking forward to it.
Last thing: If you can afford to go to Mexico and pay whatever to have dental work done, why cantcha afford Dental Insurance? It's pretty darned cheap. We use Blue Cross, and it's less than the light bill. PRETTY sure it's less than the water bill too, but I'd have to ask the Wife, she pays the bills now, and has for some time, and I don't want to lie to you. :)

It's so rough that epilepsy leaves such a heavy risk on dental health =( makes me sad...

Definitely do what works for you. I saw that you weren't excited about general anesthesia so I figured I'd mention some dentists will probably use local if you honestly want ^_^;

Of course not everyone can do the one-by-one thing. I had a friend that I was able to get down to Mexico because their dental health plummeted badly with their other medical issues. Their teeth was similar to what you described - hardly anything left, jagged, gone. I don't believe general anesthesia was used for him and he had concerns with that as well because of his weight and he requires oxygen so he didn't want that accidentally getting bumped or anything, although they are careful over there. He was able to get his full set of dentures, though. I honestly think it has brought him more confidence to have a smile again.

Nothing good comes from decayed, jagged, and potentially infected teeth as well. That can hurt your health more than not.

Root canals and caps are never of any comfort to me. If they say "root canal and crown", I just say "extract it." No use having a dead, diseased tooth in my mouth. The research on root canals and crowns terrifies me enough to not have that. (I do get if in someone's situation they might need that root canal and crown such as in small children when they need something to chew with and it's only for a a few years, perhaps, or someone's specific situation may require it, but even then - I still don't see it as a win-win, there can still be problems). Although, with already 6 gone, it makes me feel sad and not so confident =( and at my age, it's no use yanking out healthy teeth or ones that could use a filling for now. So I leave the gap or get an implant...not a lot of options. I won't do a bridge, either. A partial denture hardly feels worth it for one tooth. I wish there were more options...or that our teeth could grow back. Kind of feel stuck in my situation.

I remember having to see a dentist in the US when I had a tooth crumbling away and I was in a lot of pain. I figured in my mind that it was going to be an extraction so I was prepared for that. The price difference between an extraction and a root canal/crown is astounding! $1,900 USD vs. $402 USD for extraction. In Mexico, even, it's about $90 USD for extraction (unless it's impacted like a wisdom tooth or something, then that runs like $120 - $140 USD), but I do know that root canals and crowns there are for sure $300 USD. So still, the extraction is much cheaper. Although, I can't say I ever had a dentist get angry and upset at me for requesting an extraction. It is a dent in their profits in a way, though, but they do still make some money off of you.

The only thing I worry about from losing teeth from a study I read a long time ago was more memory loss. Supposedly the nerves of the teeth and having your teeth in your gums can communicate signals to the brain and without that, memory can worsen. My memory is already a challenge, but I wonder how much worse losing teeth might make that. Not sure everyone struggles with that or not.

You might be able to have a person in the room with you...maybe? I know sometimes dental practices do not allow anyone else in there when general anesthesia is used because of the space they have to work with as the rooms are generally incredibly small with the team they need in there. This is rather unfortunate...especially if you're like a parent of a child or a nervous patient and must go alone. I think dental practices need bigger rooms for general anesthesia and allow someone to accompany them with such a procedure.

When I think orthodontist, I so think "braces" xD but I know they do much more than that.

As far as the Mexico thing vs. the USA goes. My husband can get dental insurance benefits for his work if we wanted, to. It would be a few dollars per person and it's not too bad for household, but US dental insurance is often times not even worth it. I do believe this one would cover up to $1,000/year, but I know there were some rules and limitations on what they would cover, too. That would be about 2 extractions, maybe 5-8 fillings, and not to mention if you wanted a clean or an x-ray (x-rays here can be $100 - $500 for a full panoramic). Also, in the USA They can always choose "not to cover it" then you're stuck with the bill anyway. If I decided to do a zirconia implant like I wanted to do - in the USA it's $3,500 - $6,000/implant. I still haven't asked yet how much this is in Mexico. I always loved how we would get messed over with health insurance for finding an in-care clinic, but you get an out-of-network provider and lo and behold you get to pay 2/3 of that bill.

I remember my parents doing health insurance through my dad's work and he worked for the city and it didn't even cover all of me and my brother's fillings as a kid and this was one visit to take care of them all. They still had to pay like $800 - $1,000 out of pocket.

Also, in Mexico I've been impressed with their service. I haven't had issues with any of the dental work they've done. They're also happy to take American money because it's 19 pesos to $1 right now so whatever option you choose, they don't get mad or upset with you and get the work done. I feel like I have more of a say there. They've also been able to save teeth that the US dentists told me weren't salvageable by using a filling and they still aren't causing me issues. Heard this story so many times about people saying our dentists here say, "Root canal and crown or extraction," and they go to Mexico and say, "It's a deep cavity, that's for sure, but I really could do a filling no problem."

I also think our town has super crummy dentists. Some are definite money mongers and are pushy to get top dollar. There have been practices here that I've been skeptical about and believe they are committing fraud. While I have reported a practice or so for obvious issues, I honestly do not like dealing with them. Most of the dentists in the US push to get all the work done in one shot. If you have cavities on both sides, they want to work on them on one side of your mouth in one visit and then schedule another or do general anesthesia and do it all. While one visit and being done could be a relief, I've also had a bad experience with that so I'm super hesitant.

Some people say we do have good dentists here, but they are either hard to get in to see or not as good as people say.

With our current vehicle, we barely waste any gas getting to the dentist across the border, and it's closer than the big city. We usually save up a bit of cash and take care of things a tooth at a time. Better than being in debt. Since I now know they can do things by quadrants of teeth, I am not sure if I could or not because of my jaw issues, but that'd be easier than being injected with anesthetic for one tooth each time when he could do a whole side. Might need to save up or wait until tax return time. I do know they have rules as to how long they can keep your mouth open for and they won't hold it open for you, which is a relief in a way, and sometimes not if it's for a small period of time.

I'd probably go with implants. I'm missing 1 tooth on the lower left side--apparently there was no permanent tooth under the "baby" tooth. I think I will have an implant put there. I feel the baby one wouldn't have even fallen out if it weren't for our previous dentist. He'd keep poking & prodding it although it wasn't even bothering me, and not moving at all. Suddenly, about 11 years ago, it became loose & fell out!!

I'd probably go with implants. I'm missing 1 tooth on the lower left side--apparently there was no permanent tooth under the "baby" tooth. I think I will have an implant put there. I feel the baby one wouldn't have even fallen out if it weren't for our previous dentist. He'd keep poking & prodding it although it wasn't even bothering me, and not moving at all. Suddenly, about 11 years ago, it became loose & fell out!!
Wow, that's crazy! I've heard of that happening, but it seems more uncommon. Crazy stuff o_o

If you get the implant, let me know if that seems to suit you well. The more feedback, the better =)

Implants are generally considered a more permanent and natural-looking option for replacing missing teeth, but they require a surgical procedure and some recovery time. On the other hand, dentures are removable and may take time to get used to, but they can be a good option if you're missing multiple teeth or are not a candidate for implants.

Implants are generally considered a more permanent and natural-looking option for replacing missing teeth, but they require a surgical procedure and some recovery time. On the other hand, dentures are removable and may take time to get used to, but they can be a good option if you're missing multiple teeth or are not a candidate for implants.
I had a tooth implant at crowndentalgroup.com.au, and it looks good. As for safety concerns, discussing any medical or dental issues you have with your doctor or dentist is always a good idea.

I’ve got a couple teeth missing. Also have an unnoticeable small chip in a front tooth. I’m concerned about a few back ones that are going to need work soon.
I always hated having to see the dentist.

Our new dentist is really good, & literally around the corner from our house. He's part of a group--at his office, they mostly do cleanings & simple cavity fillings. The other dentists he works with aren't far, either--they do all the major things like tooth extractions & implants. I have to see the other dentists to get my wisdom teeth pulled. They're only partly out, & cleaning them/around them is very difficult.

Back
Top Bottom