What's the process w/ driving and epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

vtsammy

New
Reaction score
Whenever I filled out an application for a drivers license, I would always check "no" when asked if I have ever had a seizure. Never really thought about it too much. Now after much talking w/ my brother he made me realize that if I were ever get into an accident and God forbid I killed someone, I could get sued. I would feel HORRRIBLE about this and because of this I did get a letter from my Dr saying that it was ok for me to drive (va law says that if you havne't had a seizure in 6 months than you can drive). So my question is if I were to approach the DMV would they ask me why I never informed them of my seizures. I'm sure I would get into lots of trouble, perhaps even a felony charge for lying to the state of VA. But then again I do want to present my letter to the state to show that I am ok to drive. I don't know how to go about doing this. Any insight I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks guys.

Go to the EFA driving laws page and select Virginia:
An individual with a history of blackouts must submit a medical report completed by the individual and his or her physician prior to being issued a driver's license. The information is then reviewed to determine if the individual may be licensed to drive a motor vehicle. While the Department's current seizure-free policy requires individuals to be seizure-free for 6 months, each case is reviewed individually.
I think they largely go by whatever your doctor recommends.

I have to

agree. It also will depend on the type of seizure, too. And each state will have a different amount of time required in between seizures before permitting you to drive again.

For those of us bless with seizures that are nocturnal, like mine...Obviously, I do not drive in my sleep, it becomes trickier, and the neuro really has to decide what to do......but my neuro and I have cut a deal that if I think something is wrong I will remove myself from the road voluntarily, and tell him. And I don't drive right after I get up from a nap (something I rarely take).

I would keep the letter from the doc to CYA, but I sure would not approach them or give that letter if they didn't ask for it.

Back
Top Bottom