what's the worst self-sustained injury youve suffered from a grandmal seizure?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Whoa, some of these are pretty intense.
Lets see.
My first ever seizure was on top of the stairs which I apparently rolled down and headbutted the front door at the bottom. No serious injuries after being carted to er with a collar and a spine board and being left on it for 3 hours strapped down in the majors unit till i was crying in agony just from being laid on it for so long.
Cut my head open a couple of times, got a couple of scars where i have fallen victim to my pc desk (i suspect)
Erm and recently I managed to have a fit in a toilet cubicle where I hit the toilet with my head, then i must have flung myself backwards and jarred myself up against the door injuring my neck and bashing my head on the back so no one could get in to get to me (this is what the paramedics worked out must have happened based on my injuries and the tiny space), again spine boarded and collared, in a hospital on the other side of the county who saw me and cleared my back within about 10mins to get me off the board so i was comfy while i waited with the collar on.
Yeah, thats all since about april time when all of this started.
Hoping not to have anymore but who knows?:paperbag:

I'm pretty lucky... I only have a scar on my forehead from my last tonic-clonic... They think I cut my head when I fell and hit my head repeatedly on the flag pole in our office, because there was apparently blood all over the floor when someone walked in.

Oh wow! The teeth must have really hurt :(

Probably the most damage I did to myself in 1 go was in a bathroom- I collapsed bending over the sink, cracked my skull on some tiles, fell back (and this is crazy) managed to go head first thru the plastic side panel of the bath and had my seizure with my head in that tiny space between it and the bath. You couldn't script that could you? :p

My face and neck were in bits- 2 lovely black panda eyes, blood pouring from my head, covered in cuts and bruises and just so much pain from where I strained my neck against the panel :/

I can smile about it now tho, and the really funny part of it was trying to work out where I was, post ictal- with my head in the dark coz the plastic had kind of re-formed round my neck :p

sounds similar to what I guess I could call my first major tonic-clonic seizure: I woke up in the middle of the night in the bathroom, sitting and slouched my head dangling looking down at the floor between my legs at a pool of blood - headache like nothing imaginable, neck strain...
later "CSI" work I figured out I likely smashed my head on the towel rack and went down - I still have a 1" scar above the bridge of my nose

I'm pretty lucky... I only have a scar on my forehead from my last tonic-clonic... They think I cut my head when I fell and hit my head repeatedly on the flag pole in our office, because there was apparently blood all over the floor when someone walked in.

I bet your scar is cooler than mine

About a week ago with my last one was a bit of a trade off. I didnt bite my tongue as severely as normal which was nice but I hurtled backwards and cracked my head on my front deck which sprained my neck and I think may have to en me a smal confusion. My sister in law had woken me up knocking on the door and as son as I opened it I went right intro it. She freaked out called my wife and said I cracked my head and was. Leering and susenly half my family was at an Ed 30 mins later for no real reason and I never did find any blod on me so there's my great caper: the case of the vanishing blood

Was on the bed had a seizure only to find myself somehow under the bed. well it was a mattress only bed so it had the metal spring to suport the mattress and trust ne they can be sharp, espesially when having a seizure.
Jerry

Crashed a Mitsubishi Eclipse into a tree. Dislocated my hip.

Nothing else aside from a bruise or two.

Countless black eyes, broken knee cap, broken rid and and broken nose :( seems most tonic clonics I have I hit the deck hard. Also gave my husband a black eye from one of the first tonic clonics, he thought he need to hold me, needless to say from there on I he just makes sure I'm safe and steals clear of my arms.

Not my most serious injury but certainly my most unpleasant was when I bit my tongue almost all the way through during a seizure. The doc said it was a convenient injury because mouth issues heal much faster, but my months of liquid diet and the constant taste of blood, not being able to speak and feeling constantly starving and nauseous from blood swallowing was the absolute worst my epilepsy has ever dealt me.

I can see from reading some of these stories I've gotten off fairly well so far. Had quite a few concussions, ended up with 2 black eyes a week or so before I was to be a bridesmaid and also went face down on asphelt and scratched my face very badly from my forehead right down to my chin. I still remember the guys at work cracking jokes and trying to make me laugh as I was healing from the last. Didn't find it as funny as they did because it would hurt if the scratches were stretched when I laughed.

I haven't sustained too many. Nothing serious. Cut lip, bruised lips, bruises on body and a few bumps. I don't tend to bite my tongue or cheek, but I bite my lip a lot. Cut it open quite a few times. I somehow manage to lay down before having a seizure.

Never a bump from the start Dec2010 until Sept2012 when I was helping my buddy move and fell in the driveway and the first thing that hit the pavement was my head. 3 staples or XX stitches, I went with the staples.

FYI, being a claustrophobic and being strapped to a gurney is NOT fun.

Fell and ended up with over 20 stitches and thanks to my ER doc almost no scars.

First one happened on the sidewalk while I was waiting for the light to change to cross in the middle of the night. 30 seconds later and I may not have been here.

But man you guys have had it bad. :(

Cheers to all of you!

Every time I hit the ground I always end up in the most awkward positions that leave my joints aching for days. Luckily for me, the worst has been a sprained knee.

wow thanks nak for reposting this thread, it's been over a year!
myself i've had many tonic clonics since posting this and for the most part nothing 'too' serious. my tongue is permanently disfigured on the right side, never did heal properly. they said it would over time but i knew they were wrong :tup:
and the last t.c. (better be forever ;)) the bottom corner of a glass sauna door bounced back and forth on my right cheek a good two minutes, now have a visible-for-life red lightning shape scar above my lip. fun!

I've only had one, and for myself, came out with only a good gash in my tongue. The harder part was I was mid-pregnancy and the ER doctor said my baby might be brain damaged (he wasn't at all compassionate about conveying that bit of information either). Fortunately, my son is now 16 and smart as a whip--so happy ending there!

HUGS lindsay i can't imagine! kudos to you for pulling through and having a healthy son. :)

Recently suffered a mild concussion and fractured skull during an atonic seizure. Most of the concussion symptoms were gone within the day, but the pain from fracture took a few days to completely go away.

i think I've mentioned this before here but I once had a tonic clonic in my doctor's office. He had a hard woven rug. I stood up, fell down and cracked my cheek bone. The bruise formed in the pattern of the rug, so I had a lovely blue embellishment on my face. It hurt to smile but it was almost impossible not to laugh at the neuro's office with everyone cracking jokes about it despite my requests not to make me smile. I wish i'd taken a photo. Not the worst injury but certainly the funniest. After that, nobody could help but ask me what happened, so I had to keep telling them my boyfriend had hit me. What else is there to do but have a laugh when you can?

I would agree with a previous poster, though, that lost memories are the worst injuries I've experienced thus far.

Back
Top Bottom