When does it become epilepsy?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Starburst

New
Reaction score
My infant son has been having seizures since he was 2-3 days old, and his EEG was abnormal. As of yet, no underlying cause has been found, and the doctor said the seizures are likely to disappear when my son is about a year old.

I think I read somewhere that a child cannot be diagnosed with epilepsy until he/she is at least one year old. Is this correct? If so, what is the reason? When do "seizures" become "epilepsy" in children?

I would assume that it's because the brain is still growing at such a rate when they're that young that any child with seizures might outgrow them.

I am in the waiting stage as well with my son. He has had seizures since around 6 1/2 months, several types. We also have had clear EEG's and an ultrasound. Nureo is trying to book him for another EEG as soon as he can as his seizures altered again a week ago. Originally his Nureo said we would know more when he was 1yr but now the Nureo is saying 2yrs. I have been told he is having epiletpic events by his Nureo, who also showed the video of his seizrues to his associate who agreed as well. They say some look like Tonic events, on top of him already having "Shudder Syndrome". I will admit I am a bit freaked with being told 1 and now 2 especially as I have done research into why the Nureo may now be saying 2, so I think I will just ask him next time. We have been told he will either outgrow them within the next year or so or develop a full form of epilepsy. So far he is not on Meds, although I have script for them but Nureo has said not to fill it until he says so. We see his Nureo once a month ( Nureo has also asked for us to email him a weekly update), his Paed once a month and will be seeing an Allergist/Gastroenterologist in Jan as well. My bub is developing normally but at the slowe end of normal. He is not yet crawling but we have been told he may not until closer to 16months. I take faith though in the fact that his seizures although many a day last only a few seconds and generally he is a happy little boy and his seizures, at this stage, don't seem to affect him and he just carrys on after them.
I look forward to reeading your updates.
Donnajane

Back
Top Bottom