When you say seizure free, what do you mean????

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Awwwwww,

I'm sure of that, sweetie, but I need warm weather, too, at least in the 70s and 80s.....

I'd say come on up in the summer. Just don't get scared when they tell you it's only 30 or 40 degrees, that centigrade & understand 30C. is 86F.

[
Hawke,
That sounds right to me, and "under control" means not having any seizires on or off of drugs.
QUOTE=hawke86;35248]To me seizure free means to have your seizures under control.[/QUOTE]

No auras, warnings or blackouts. I've been told that a simple aura is actually a seizure.

I take only Keppra, 750 twice a day. I have not had any side effect except drowniness when I first start and then when he moved it from 500 to 750.
I have not had any seizure activity for a little over 2 months now. Dr said blood test shows I am definitely on low side of Keppra but said he would keep me on this as long as I don't have a seizure.

seizure free is not having any seizures.
Which I'll most likely never be.:pop:

Belinda
On another post I recommended half a teaspoon of Epsom salts in the morning taken with orange juice. In every case in the past this has worked. Family and friends have been seizure free after taking it.

Hi Jualsy, nice to see you again. We have several threads on magnesium now (including the ones you started).

Thank you so much for posting this.

I wondered that too. I know it all depends on where you live. I think where I live it is something like 6 months without having any type of seizures. Which I have yet to succeed at. lol It is so sad to have to tell people that I am almost 27 years old and never got my license. I had my permit twice, but never was able to acquire my license since I can't go a complete year without a seizure.

Believe me, I would never want to hurt someone. I think that I would be able to stop driving if I did have a seizure but then again if I was on a highway/freeway, I am not sure if I would be able to pull over in time. So I never really pushed the whole "I need my license" thing. But the independence would be nice.

It all depends on which state you live in. In my state, it's pretty liberal. I just am grateful that I didn't have the seizure in my home state, or I would STILL not be able to drive!

In Kentucky, it's "3 months or 90 days, seizure free", with "voluntary reporting" of seizure activity by the patient or the treating physician. A "seizure" here is defined as one that causes "brief or prolonged loss of consciousness".

It's been over 90 days since I've had a tonic clonic, so by the laws in my state, I am seizure free. I have simple partials once in a while, but these do not cause any loss of consciousness, so the DMV here considers me "seizure free".

I don't consider myself to be "seizure free" until all the seizures completely stop...guess I will have to see what happens on the next Lamictal XR increase...so far it's been working in reducing the number of simple partials so I have high hopes for it. Apparently, my neurologist also does not consider me to be "seizure free" or else he would not be upping the dose on the Lamictal XR.

Here's a place where you can look up the driving laws for your state. Scroll down the page:

http://www.epilepsy.com/epilepsy/rights_driving

Seizure free means seizure free. Completely. No auras (which are actually seizures), no seizures. None. The docs strive for this because even a few small seizures can escallate over time.

Back
Top Bottom