Which have you found that disinfects better, alcohol or hydrogen peroxide?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

KathyJJ

Stalwart
Reaction score
I had a seizure last week and cut my head which needed staples. They removed them today and told me to keep it clean. I didn't think to ask them which would be better to put on it after I clean it so it won't get infected. I'm undecided which to use alcohol or hydrogen peroxide. Have you found one works better than the other? If so, which one? I know I can do a search on-line and see which is recommended but I like to hear it from people that has actually used it and found one to be better than the other. Your help is appreciated! Thank you!

My mother just had hip surgery and they told her to use only mild soap and water to clean the area around the incision. Apparently alcohol and hydrogen peroxide can be too harsh.

Hope your head heals quickly!

They told me to use soap and water to clean it and they said they didn't think it would get infected but they didn't tell me what to use to keep it from getting infected. Maybe they didn't want me to use anything besides soap and water. That would be nice.

Hi KathyJJ,

After I had my surgery my Dr. told me soap and warm water and then use hydrogen peroxide 2-3 times a day on the incision. I have also found that hydrogen peroxide is great for your teeth and gums my Dentist told me to use it after I brush my teeth and my teeth are in good shape with only 2 cavities. Take my word it doesn't taste the best but it's a lot cheaper than having to get dentures. Wishing you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

Just wash around the site (don't rub or scrub directly across it) with mild soap and water a couple of times a day. Anything more could lead to irritation or infection.

To keep it from getting infected just give it time and don't interfere with it much. You'll be tempted to scratch it as it's healing because they become ridiculously itchy, but resist that, or touching it more than you need to. Make sure there's plenty of air around the site, but since it's on your head that shouldn't be a problem. Maybe avoid hats for now if they cover it.

Hoping you heal up soon :hugs:

I had thought that I would keep it clean daily and then go by "feel". As long as it feels normal for a wound to be healing, maybe I should leave it alone. But, if it starts feeling sore, etc., that would be the time to start treating it orally. As you can see, I'm out of practice on how to treat wounds such as this. I appreciate everyone's help here and will keep your suggestions in mind and follow them. I had thought I would wait about wearing caps when I walk because of where the wound is located. Thanks again everyone for your help!

Just wash around the site (don't rub or scrub directly across it) with mild soap and water a couple of times a day. Anything more could lead to irritation or infection.

To keep it from getting infected just give it time and don't interfere with it much. You'll be tempted to scratch it as it's healing because they become ridiculously itchy, but resist that, or touching it more than you need to. Make sure there's plenty of air around the site, but since it's on your head that shouldn't be a problem. Maybe avoid hats for now if they cover it.

Hoping you heal up soon :hugs:

Same with me.

There have been times that the dr might give me some sort of special soap or lotion to use, it would just depend on what the problem is.

Just make sure you use plain soap, nothing scented or other types of fancy ones.

I remember hearing something that said hydrogen peroxide was bad for wounds because it interferes with the healing process. I'm not sure about alcohol.

I can't imagine plain, unscented soap like dial soap would be bad to use and just some warm water run loosely over the incision would be ineffective. I don't think you need to overthink this.

Back
Top Bottom