Why 3D TVs are NOT for me…

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Here’s the good news and the bad news…

The GOOD: You can buy a 3D TV without using the 3D function.

The BAD: I threw up watching Avatar and I’m not even photosensitive!

I guess you get the message.

Watching 3D can cause other problems in addition to causing seizures. They include: altered vision, light-headedness, dizziness, eye or muscle twitching, confusion, nausea, loss of awareness, convulsions, cramps and disorientation. (So I’m not such a wuss.)

And here’s some more “good” news from the Epilepsy Foundation: Pregnant women, the elderly, sufferers of serious medical conditions, those who are sleep deprived or under the influence of alcohol should avoid 3D.

Plus, viewing 3D television may also cause motion sickness, perceptual after effects, disorientation, eye strain and decreased postural stability.

Did anyone mention that it might be dangerous to breathe while you’re watching?

It is recommended that users take frequent breaks to lessen the potential of these effects. If your eyes show signs of fatigue or dryness or if you have any of the above symptoms, immediately discontinue use of this device and do not resume using it for at least thirty minutes after the symptoms have subsided.

But there’s more here than meets the eye…

Behind many of the warnings are the legalities. No one wants to be sued. So 3D TV manufacturers put scads of warnings out to cover all eventualities. (Unlike movie theaters that just shrug and say “see it at your own risk.” They’re not going to be living in your house with you!)

One 3D TV manufacturer said the warnings had been issued because “watching 3D TV is an entirely new experience for people and there are concerns that it is so exciting and involving.”

In other words, they’re worried you’ll have too much fun!!!

So, is 3D TV a real danger, or just like our mothers telling us that watching too much old style TV would make us blind?

With all the warnings, joy and hysteria, one thing they forgot to explain is that there’s more than just one type of 3D technology in use. And the whole technology is evolving. So, yes, you might have a reaction. Or maybe not.

A fair compromise would be to skip this round and see how the next generation shakes out. (Sort of like the Betamax vs. VHS format wars in the old VCR days.)

Even my over jealous, geek-loving husband decided to wait it out…while he dreams of baseball games to come.

My problem is that i love watching 3D movies at the cinema, but they do give me partials so i end up going to see the same film at least twice because i've missed bits. I have an HD telly at home, but i think i'll be skipping the 3D ones.

I also love the new 3DS nintendo handheld. Had a go on one in the game shop and the technology is amazing, but again, i don't think i'll be owning one.

I get awful migraines after watching any 3D movies. There is a way to convert the Real 3D glasses into normal 2D glasses. I've got a pair laying around so that when a movie comes out and it's only in 3D I can still see it and not feel like I paid to get stabbed with an ice pick.

I had a college professor tell us
"ther is a difference, being on the cutting edge of technology or being on the bleeding edge."
I rather just take the cutting edge and let others be on the bleeding edge.

Also 3D TVs come with a "regular" option. You DON'T have to use the 3D!

Yup, which is another reason i wouldn't get one. I mean, whats the point in paying all that money if you don't use the features?

Plus i only just bought my HD tv last year, and i saved up for months to get it lol.

Back
Top Bottom