Why they say To Not Worry of people Having Tonic Clonics?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

niceguyVZ

New
Reaction score
That nothing happens to the brain. Well yeah but if they fall and hit their head, they can get badly injured. In fact saw someone having one and he bleed from the mouth.

So what's not to worry about? I dont understand

Who is telling you not to worry if you have a TC seizure?
When I had my first TC years ago, I was very seriously burned. I wasn't diagnosed with E properly at the time. I've never heard of anyone being told not to worry if they are having TC seizures.

I was never told not to worry when I had a tonic clonic sz.

I busted my head open plenty of time and got staples or stitiches.
I just refused to to worry about having a seizure all the time.

Who told you not to worry? Was it a doctor or something? If so then you may want to consider getting a different one, or if it's a relative or friends, or just some random stranger then educate them... There are many things to worry about tonic clonics. I just don't.

I have had tonic-clonic seizures, and my last one was in September. My doctor thinks perhaps with these spells I'm having where I just get dizzy and lose memory for couple of seconds could be side effects of medication or juvenile myoclonic. He pretty much reduced the dosage of keppra xr. I don't have the money to be monitored in a hospital or be tested for a few days with portable device. So, I don't know if these are seizures or not.

The worst that happened to me was I strained my arm for 5 months. Most of the time with seizures I get a few scars, but minor and usually I'm sore for three days, and my tongue is usually sore when I have a tonic clonic seizure, that's fine. I'm just glad I didn't bust a tooth, crack skull, or needed any surgery done.

There are safety precautions that I take, and usually I exercise on treadmill at night when my parents are around and I wear a helmet just to be safe. I only take showers instead of baths even though I love baths. You can try to take as most safety as you can, and perhaps it's recommended. Should I wear helmets everyday, and so on expecting a seizure even though I've been free since September? Not me, I'd rather not be made fun of. I already stress with relatives, some of which tries to make it funny by saying I'm flopping around on the floor like a joke. But can take as much safety that you want, but it shouldn't interfere with the way you live life at least not in my opinion.

It's depressing to think that at any random moment, at any second of the day that I may have a break through seizure, but what can I do? Nothing, I take medication and take safety precautions. My parents have to work, and I have no friends and I like being to myself if something happens so be it... At least in my opinion, it's not worth stressing over and being depressed over it all day long. I'm studying to get my GED now, and I'm hoping to get into college. Of course, I can only attend a community college which is 2 miles away so I suppose I'll just walk there even though it's dangerous. Usually you should worry, but it isn't worth being depressed over all the time at least from my perspective. Other people have different opinions though. Usually, it's depressing when my parents sees me having it, they think I should feel bad for them stressing out even though it is me having the seizures so kind of wish they didn't worried. But, nobody told me not to worry.

Last edited:
Yes, they can be harmful, but worrying about them as opposed to just trying to prepare for them as best you can a) won't stop stop them from happening, b) won't reduce the potential damage they can cause and c) will probably make them more frequent.

It's trite to say, but life's risky whether you have them or not. True, having t-c's is more likely to cause you damage than not having them- but anyone can still get hit by a drunk-driver going to the store..

Its one thing to not worry, it is another to know that you can't prevent all harm from being done.

I bet I can guess where that came from. It's probably a garbled version of when someone that knows they experience tonic clonics does and doesn't need to/should seek medical attention . People that are known to have tonic clonics don't have to go to the ER every time they experience one unless they are injured during the seizure, pregnant, diabetic or have another serious medical condition, or going into status or do not come back around after 5 minutes or have another seizure without regaining consciousness.

If it's their first seizure or if you don't know if it is or not you should seek medical help.

I've only had the one generalized tonic clonic, but my cousin had a couple where she didn't injure herself so she didn't have to go anywhere. Then once she dislocated her shoulder in a car accident and she had a tendency to dislocate it again when she would have seizures, luckily she didn't have them too often and eventually got the tonic clonics under control.

I bet I can guess where that came from. It's probably a garbled version of when someone that knows they experience tonic clonics does and doesn't need to/should seek medical attention . People that are known to have tonic clonics don't have to go to the ER every time they experience one unless they are injured during the seizure, pregnant, diabetic or have another serious medical condition, or going into status or do not come back around after 5 minutes or have another seizure without regaining consciousness.

If it's their first seizure or if you don't know if it is or not you should seek medical help.
I'm one of those that have had many TCs at home and a few in public. It's the ones that have happened in public that I've ended up in the ER and it wasn't necessary. It's just that the public isn't well informed on what to do when they witness a seizure, so they automatically call for the emergency.
I've gone status (a seizure that lasts more than 5 minutes) a few times at home, and my kids knew enough to call 911. I'm also diabetic, and my family knows. My last seizure I had while driving my blood sugar level was down to 40, so the ER dr. said it was due to hypoglycemia.

Back
Top Bottom