Winter Squash, Fennel, Leek Broth

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

RobinN

Super Mom
Reaction score
Since I have realized that there is an ever present abundance of MSG related byproducts in packaged soups and stocks, I am looking to make my own.

Here is a basic broth that I have since found that would be great for those fall soups.

* 1 (about 2 pounds) butternut squash, pumpkin, or other winter squash
* 2 large or 3 small leeks, dark-green tops only, roughly chopped, split in half lengthwise,
* 1 roughly chopped small fennel bulb, with top
* 2 or 3 sprigs fresh sage
* 8 cups water

1. Slice the squash in half lengthwise. Peel off the rind, and scoop out the seeds and pulp. Reserve the pulp for the soup or another dish.
2. Add the squash rind, squash seeds, leeks, fennel, and sage sprigs to a stockpot. Add the water, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for 45 to 60 minutes.
3. Strain the broth, and discard the solids. The broth may be refrigerated in a covered container for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 1 month.

You can then add what ever soup ingredients that you enjoy or that are lurking in the corners of your veggie drawer.

Last edited:
I'm always looking for new recipes to try especially during the holidays. This sounds awesome!! I can't wait to try it! It has to be so much better than the store bought anyway.

.. and you know, I just was reading that in an old post somewhere around this montrous house you have built. It did not even register. Sorry folks

I don't believe our maker meant for it to be this difficult. If we weren't adding in synthetic this, and modified that, and hydrolyzed, pasturized, nullified ingredients we might be existing in a happier more energetic way.

.. somewhere around this montrous house you have built...

This place is being built the Amish way... with the whole community participating. :)

Sorry I like it better where the sun shines brighter.

Droooooooooooollllllllllllllllllllllllllll

:tup:

I love that recipe! Sans the sage, I use
celery leaves in lieu.

Back
Top Bottom