Withdrawal symptoms?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I found the four meds that Rebecca came off of were best done quite a bit slower than what the doctor ordered. It was best for her.

I have

to agree. Especially when I came off the Phenobarb. I had been on it for 18 years, and had to be hospitalized for it, as I went toxic on both it, and Dilantin. Coming off Dilantin wasn't as bad, I don't think. Not fun, but not as bad.

Wow...after reading a lot of people's withdrawal stories on this board, I tend to think the neuros try and do it too fast! I kind of have my own withdrawal schedule that I'm currently on. I still need to run it by my neuro to see if he approves.

For those who don't know, I've been gluten free since 3/1 (well I had an egg roll on 3/14) so roughly a month in a half. I've also been getting at least 7 hours of sleep during the work week and taking some supplements (Taurine, mag, zinc, and omega-3). I've noticed a drastic improvements in the frequency and severity of my aura's so far. I don't plan on giving it up and hope it will eliminate my need for meds all together.

Back to my point. Last August I was experiencing a flurry of Auras due to the processed food and junk I was constantly consuming. I bumped up my meds on my own from 1000mg of Depakote ER to 1250mg. Amazingly, after 2 weeks on the gf diet I decreased back to 1000mg. Didn't notice any symptoms until about a week or so where I would get real anxious, feel kinda like I'm about to jump out of my skin (can't explain it), unreal and had deja vu's. I still feel like this when stressed and overtired but again, less intense. So here's the plan: Every 6 months I go without having the aura's like I use to get, and with the docs permission I'm going to cut back another 250mg.

So, around September or October of this year I hope to go back to my original dose of 750mg and then next March continue the trend if I don't have an aura or seize. I'm terrified about doing this since I've been on meds for about 4 years and had only one grand mal. Sorry to ramble but that's just how slow I would recommend doing it. Patience. :soap:

Back
Top Bottom