Women and Epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

RobinN

Super Mom
Reaction score
How to manage epilepsy instead of letting it manage you.

Epilepsy treatment has come a long way since the nineteenth century, when women with seizures often underwent hysterectomies or ovariectomies. The logic was that by eliminating the menstrual cycle-which was linked with a higher seizure frequency at certain times-seizures would be eliminated as well. The strategy didn't work; in fact, it only made women less likely to consult with physicians.

Fast-forward a couple of hundred years, and things couldn't be more different. The management of epilepsy is far more sophisticated, and our knowledge of the condition is expanding at a rate that is astounding, even to those within the neurology community.

When Martha Morrell, M.D., first became an epileptologist, she noticed that many of her female patients had concerns about how having epilepsy might affect things like the ability to conceive a child. There wasn't a whole lot of information that gave them answers, says Dr. Morrell, now a clinical professor of neurology at Stanford University in Palo Alto, CA, and chief medical officer at Neuropace in Mountain View, CA. But in the last five or 10 years, there has been such interest in this area on the part of neurologists. We're in a much different place.

Thanks to data from clinical trials, registries, and other research, we now know that epilepsy-along with the medications used to treat it-impacts women uniquely throughout their adult lives. As a result, women with epilepsy should consider their condition when making important life decisions, such as planning for a baby.
Women should be educated about their condition, about the medications that they're on, and about the potential effects of those medications, says Dr. Devinsky.
One of the best ways to do this is by searching the Internet. But you have to find trustworthy sources of information.

http://neurologynow.com/pt/re/neuro...2!-1179726830!181195629!8091!-1!1213723254064

At Harborview, in Seattle. We have a woman epileptologist that every once in a while gives a free seminar to women with epilepsy. She teaches on all this.She is not my Dr. but when I feel I need to speak to a woman epileptologist she has become my friend and tells me to come in at any time.

when I feel I need to speak to a woman epileptologist she has become my friend and tells me to come in at any time.

That is great... Rebecca's third neuro is female and this is her specialty. I heard her speak once, and knew it would be helpful to have this type of doctor. I asked Rebecca's pediatrician if she could help us convince the insurance to go outside of the network and wonders never cease.... she has been very helpful.
I though have been teaching her about neurofeedback. She is listening, which I always find is a good sign.

Back
Top Bottom