Yoga for Seizure Control and Pranayama breathing

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Cinnabar

New
Reaction score
I’ve done some research as to yoga’s benefit for seizure control and begin my first yoga class on Monday!

The link below succinctly describes the importance of mind/body balance through this ancient practice. (Certain this has been threaded before but no harm bringing it to light again)

http://hinduism.about.com/od/meditationyoga/a/Yoga-For-Epileptic-Seizure-Control.htm

Re: Pranayama breathing or Diaphragmatic breathing: A personal experience:

The night of my first tc, my first seizure, I had had a very taxing day - a big blow out with my boyfriend - then running errands on little sleep from the night before.

So stressed out by the end of the day, I decided to go to a quiet place in my home to practice Pranayama breathing, “deep” breathing practice to chill out. Shortly my breathing became out of control, leading to hyperventilation. Next thing I was conscious of was being on a gurney with oxygen mask.

Where am I going with this? I’ve read on the site that deep breathing has been encouraged in order to relax, possibly staving off a seizure. Given my experience, to be on the safe side, I would suggest slow, light breathing.

Surely the stress and running around on low fuel that ill-fated day contributed to my seizure but I do believe the Pranayama practice pushed me over the edge.

Needless to say, there will be no deep breathing for me on Monday!

Any thoughts, experiences or information?

Last edited:
Thank you, Nakamova. An important distinction and a great link.

I suppose it's because of my experience but when I'm in the begining of a Monoclonic I do keep my breathing light. It just helps keep my panic at bay.

Back
Top Bottom