The midnight club

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Alicia,

Are you talking about side effects from Topamax or Vimpat? Whichever it is, you have the option of starting low and ramping up very slowly on your dose. That sometimes minimizes side effects.

As for seizures vs. meds, it's your call. I waffle on that, too. I hate the meds, but I hate seizures more.

Where are you going on vacation? Not scuba diving, surfing, race car driving school, sky diving, or rock climbing, right? lol.... all not good for someone whose seizures are not under control!

Does your vacation involve a beach? Forest? Arctic snow?

:)

That poor

little mouse. I feel for it. Such is the circle of life, though.

Of course you qualify to post in here, Aicila. It's always midnight somewhere. :)

Anyway, I wouldn't know what to tell you about the med increase and when to do it. I have always just done them. And worked everything else around them because some of them have been such a pain in the arse.

Vacation, huh? Where to? Cabana boys? Fun in the sun? Hehehe. Or perhaps a nice relaxing tour through Europe?

Have a great time, no matter what you do. We'll be thinking of you.

Ended up getting about 2 hours of sleep because I couldn't get to sleep then kept waking up and woke up early. Today is going to be a friggin blast!

I am going back down to my 100 mg of Topamax because of those side effects. Topamax wasn't so bad at first, but the weight loss got out of control (it did level off though) and when I started the increase because it wasn't stopping the siezures and my weight started dropping again I was told by some pretty caring people I needed to do something about it. Hence the phone consult. So at 100mg Topomax does nothing for my siezures but is awesome for my migraines. I can deal. The side effects at that dosage were starting to go away and I was told if they start to decrease then they will most likely go away all together or get down to where you can't notice them at all.

The side effects I'm more worried about is the Vimpat. I am way over sensitive to drugs and if the box says you might, then I probably will. It's something I have to deal with even with over the counter drugs but these AED's scare me. So thats where the before or after vacation part comes in. I can try to do the really slow ramp up but I'm not sure how with what he gave me. It's a 2 week starter kit 50mg morning and 50mg night for week 1, then jump right into my dosage of 100mg twice a day.

Ok, vacation breakdown:
June 17-19-Softball Tournament
June 20-27 -Leave for Virginia to visit in-laws
June 27-July 5 -Head to Kitty Hawk North Carolina to spend the week at a time share on the beach and spend time with other half of in-laws (4th of July week on the beach...this is going to be awesome!)
July 5-7 - Back to Virginia for some more in-law visits
July 8-13 - Disneyworld lookout!
After that we are coming home.

Excited, anxious, tired, stressed, nauseated. All of that is how I feel right now. And I think I need to go potty...

Any chance you can cut those pills in half? That's what my neuro had me do when I was ramping up on Lamictal. The pills were tiny, so at first I was making crumbs with the razor blade, but I got the hang of it...

In that

case, I'd save the Vimpat for when you get back.

And you're going to Kitty Hawk? Hey that's not fair!!! It's my all time favorite place...........I must've gone there a dozen times as a kid.........*sigh* Now I'm going to have to go get out my picture albums...... :)

WOW~ You need a personal secretary just to keep your vacation schedule and reservations!

:)

Here I am awake. Again. I tossed all the pills the docs gave me to try to get me to sleep. There were enough chemicals to down an elephant. I still didn't sleep at night, and was a frik'en zombie during the day.

If you are awake, here are some things you may consider to make the time fly. Typed in answers encouraged:

1. Ever noticed how many "viewer discretion advised" shows that are on after midnight? Do you share the views of the producers? (The tv station swears they don't) And if you don't, why do you watch the *#(*$ing show? Answers will be judged based on honesty, creativity, and how well it reflects on your sleep-deprived, altered state of being.

2. Have you ever seen an empty bottle of tabasco sauce?

3. Have you ever had a bug in your ear? (I'm not talking about a metaphoric idea, here) How many do you think you've swallowed over your lifetime so far?

4. If Peter Piper Picked a Peck of Picked Peppers, how much did it weigh? (Within about 30% of the actual answer)

5. If America reduces the cow fart production by 25%, and it is the equivalent of getting 1.25 million cars off the road, how many car-equivalents would be off the road if YOU took a daily dose of Gas-X?

6. You have insomnia. If you slept at stoplights instead of in bed at night, how many hours would be added to your life? Would you get a ticket?

7. Are you so tired that you look like this?
Sleepy crazy guy

i actually have seen some asleep at a stop light while they were driving. we sat behind them through two lights i think. they were forehead down on the steering wheel

Court gets double credit for #6 for actually having SEEN a guy asleep at a stop light. Twice. lol.

did you honk?

Oh you know the surgery, I have my appointment comming up. SSI is giving me hassle for Alex, and my appt is this fri to see my Dr. for the surgery. And I got something in the mail that Alexander got another award the last one of the year this friday. I can't be there. I think My mom is going . But I have never missed one. And he is so sensitive. I am sorry I'm going on and on.

You aren't going on and on. It's the stuff going on in your life that's going on and on. Be sure to let us know what your neurosurgeon says, okay? It the surgery a "go" for sure?

3.25am. I'm in a very dark place indeed. I don't think I could get much lower. Not sure what to do.

Gosh I'm so sorry Lou, hang in there, you'll feel better once you get some sleep and clear your head. I'm thinking of you, wishing you well.

At the time I wrote that last msg, I was looking for any distraction from what I was doing at that moment. Then I noticed the writing book I bought in Selfridges the other day. So i picked up a pen and started writing in it. I'm surprised at how therapeutic that is. Is almost forgotten how I used to keep journals. 5 and a half pages later and I'm feeling a little better.

Exhausted though.

Yeah, writing things out can definitely help. I'm glad you're feeling better, hope you got some sleep.

Oh, Lou,

Big hugs. You've got so much tough stuff going on right now.

It sounds like you are really down/blue. Does your neuro know you are feeling that way? The meds can't be helping the situation. Maybe he has a change or addition?

Hang in there.

I'm staying at a friends tonight. I didn't get much sleep last night and feel unwelcome at home. Not sure what I will be doing tomorrow. Went into work today and my manager sent me straight out again and said she would cover my shift for me as I was obviously not in a fit state to be there.

Oh, Lou. <<<<<MORE BIG HUGS>>>>

Wish we lived in the same place. Shelter from your storm, and all that.

Sighhhhh.... It's past midnight and I'm still up. No sleeping pill tonight because I have to be coherent tomorrow. If I take a sleeping pill then I can't think or wake up all day.

I am trying to think of an animal that begins with each letter of the alphabet to while away the time.

Aardvark
Bear
Caiman
D - can't think of anything
Elephant
F - can't think of anything
Giraffe
Hedgehog
I - can't think of anything
J - can't think of anything
Kangaroo
Llama
Mouse
N....

help me out here, folks. my brain is fried.

Back
Top Bottom