Diary of an Epileptic

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Thanks Eric for the Neuro pages. I think that I might want to see if I can wittle him down to my size first. I won't give in to jerks that think just because they have been to university and learned it all, doesnt mean they have experianced it all and know what i'm feeling. argh. but if I cant, tehn I'll be shopping. Yeah, I think it was weird too. cuz my first RX he gave me was written, not typed, and it said Lamictal. Now the typed ones say Lamotrigine. so I think he just "doesnt care" and he wont waste his time changing it in his system.

Sounds like things are interesting out your way. Hope you find a better MD sooon and that the change of meds helps. (((((((((HUGS)))))))))

THat scusk, but good about the pharmacist.

I don't know how it goes in Canada, but I have a question? Even at the VA, where we're mostly kinda stuck with what we get, we can still "fire" our docs until we get someone less...um...yeeeaaaah. It's kind of a pain in the neck to do it and there's paperwork and stuff to fill out and file and you basically have to explain why you want to fire them, but I have done it a few times. Can you not do that there and get in to see another doc? (I totally don't know anything about how it works in Canada, so I'm asking?)

Hope things get better for you soon though...

I don't know honestly how it works. I would be really embarrassed and really awkward about telling my neuro that i'd like a transfer. I would like to transfer to a friends doctor, but I Just want someoen who understands and takes the time and effort to better things. I wish there was an epileptologist around here.

maybe I just go shopping on my own, or talk to my family doctor about sending out another refferal. i'm not sure how to "fire" them. it doesnt cost me anything to go to him, so i'm not sure.

Actually transferring is no big deal. You don't even have to tell your neurologist if you don't want. You make an appointment with the neuro you want to change to, you have to tell them who the old neuro is so they can get your file & you're off. It usually does take a while longer to get in for your first appointment & some doctors do charge (usually $20-$35 in my experience) to transfer your files to the new guy but there are no restrictions (at least to my knowledge) as to who you can switch to.

So just a re-cap...

Last seizure: Sunday January 31st, 2010
Started Name Brand Lamictal: Feb 4th, 2010, PM dosage

I have a one month supply of Lamictal 150mg for twice a day, and then I still have 25mg Lamotrigine to take with it. I didnt bother with those ones, because I just got a refill of those not too long ago. Hopefully this works.

Last night I had a migraine starting at about 4pm and by 5:30, I could barely keep my eyes open as the light was hurting me even more. but I took my evening dose, which was my first dose on brand name, and rubbed my neck and shoulders with motrin muscle rub, and within about half an hour, i felt better-ish. But I slept like a baby all night. I feel great this morning, and ITS FRIDAY!

which means I can sleep in a bit tomorrow, then get up and make eggs and bacon and home made hashbrowns! mmmmm.... sliced tomatoes and cucumbers on the side, and some small cubes of cheese. I'm excited!

Yes, TGIF! And TG the Lamictal is working out for you. And TG for bacon... Mmmmmm...bacon...

mmm its actually turkey bacon, so its sooo much better tasting!

Day of Lamictal

alright strange question for those of you who have tried lamotrigine first, and then brand name Lamictal?

I'm wondering because I have this tummy ache right now. and its almost like what it felt like when I took neproxin and it did something funny to my stomach lining.

anyone else get this once you switched?

Scott had a few unusual abdominal pains for a fews days, but he got those about 5 days after the switch (he's on a lower dose than you). It seems to have settled itself now.

Have you ever had tummy troubles with the gen lamotrigine when you switched to higher doses?

not that I remember. I think that i usually attributed it to what I ate. but i havent had a tummy ache since started glluten free. I got other side effects when i went p, but not a tummy ache.

Nausea can be a side effect of Lamictal, especially when you're tapering on. I realize you're just switching from generic to brand, but maybe it has the effect of tapering on because the brand may have a bit more of the active ingredient. Make sure you take it with food, and plenty of water.

its not so much naseas, but tummy pain. like cramps or something. almost like the feeling you get in your stomach when youve been winded

Stomach cramps are also a side effect, unfortunately.

Epiphany!!!

Okay!
so I have learnt the hard way that brand name Lamictal tastes way worse than generic. WAY worse. and this is what i discovered why. Lamictal floats, and generic sinks. So when you take lamictal by filling the back of your throat with water and dropping it in, its hard to swallow it fast enough before it floats and melts a bit. but the generic sunk to the back of my throat and then I could swallow before it melted.

So i tried to take lamictal with a mouth full of yogurt. problem solved. at least for me. I think taking it with things the are viscous will help. things that don't allow the pill to float. like apple sauce, yougurt, cottage cheese etc. then it doesnt taste at all.

Also, still getting massive stomach cramps with the Lamictal.I started my TOM on sunday, and had a seizure that morning, so the cramps when starting Lamictal may be due to the pre-menstral cramps. and now they continue for TOM. I have Poly cystic Syndrome, so when it flares up, i had massive cramps only during my period. so i am going to wait a few days after my period ends before I make a descision on whether or not this med now sucks butt.

I can tell that it has worked (lamotrigine in general) because I have less clusters and less generalized tonic clonic. my complex partials are shorter, but i still get some pretty strong auras that do nothing. I'll get them a few times a day, and they really mess with my thinking after that point. can't think straight, and then can't remember what I just did. I have a few absences still. and my myoclonics are basically gone. although when I do have them, its a full body jerk, sometimes two or three in a row, then a few seconds of it stopping, then 2 or three more. often it looks like large shivers. maybe this is a simple partial instead? It is pretty tiring. and makes me feel naseas cuz i feel feel my torso twitching too.

so new update:

Last seizure: Feb 7 , 2010, one week after, also on a sunday as before. havent strayed from the GF this week at all.

Well, I definitely think I have the flu or something. Cramps are still there, hardcore. but its getting to the point where it makes me sick. I can't keep anything down and I have the chills constantly. TOM ended this morning. I'm so glad I dont get it for long. I used to get it for 7-10 days, now its 3-5. so there is a plus.

Regular lamictal *crap, while i'm typing this, i realized I forgot it! Dang... Hold on... okay done. yuck. took it with lemonade..* I'm not as happy with it as I thought I'd be. I think that it, lamotrigine in general, may not actually work good for me. granted it has helped, but its not exactly doing a good job. So I think I may as well go back to generic after this refill is done, to see if there really was a difference. If not, Im going to start thinking about other meds.

Any suggestions. I know that people have told me, as well as my neuro that Lamictal has the least amount of side effects if you dont end up with the rash. Its also listed as the best med to be on while pregnant. *so he said* I don't want anything with common side effects. I dont wanna grow a beard, or lose my hair again.

I dont want to gain 90 million pounds, but If it helps me lose weight then thats a plus. I have a tiny frame, so maybe I can fit into my size 2 jeans again. *argh! size 11 is so much different than I used to be. My size two waist before, is now my thigh. But I like how I have a butt now. and bought a bigger bra for once.!!*

It would be nice if the Lamictal did the trick for you, but if it doesn't then your doc will have suggestions for other drugs/dosages/combos to try. Keppra, Depakote, Zonegran, Neurontin... As you know, what works for one person won't necessarily work for another. I've GAINED weight on Lamictal. My hair did fall out a bit, but then stopped. My sleep was really restless at first, but not now. I still have blurry vision, dry mouth and dry eyes. But I do have seizure control, and at a low dose, so for the time being I'm sticking with it. For the time being.

Back
Top Bottom