Dizzy for Dilantin

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Birdbomb

VNS Guru
Reaction score
Dilantin was the one medication I stayed on for over 6 years. It made me a bit wonky in the stability department. It's a real pisser to nearly fall for no other reason than your medication.

I have been off all AED's for 13 months now and I still have bouts of unsteadyness and dizzyness although not as often as I did while on the medication but it's still a daily thing.

My problem is I can't say if it's residual effects from any AED or a side effect from my current reguime of RA medications which include predinasone, methotrexate (chemo drug), plaquenil, tramadol and a few other minor medications.

My doses of dilantion never were over 600mg but mostly at 200mg. The add-ons never lasted more then 6 months, due to toxicity, allergic reactions, or nasty side effects. Dilantion was the only medication I took consistantly.

Last edited by a moderator:
predinasone, methotrexate (chemo drug)

If you're not on Dilantin, then it's long gone
out of your system; if you're currently taking
those medications then the chances are:
those two combos could be the results of
why you're experiencing dizziness and why
you're feeling out of whack. But I'm not a
Medical Doctor nor a Pharmacist, but my
dad was a Pharmacist and I know a little bit
about those two meds and they can be
troublesome for some folks - but you didn't
mention the "other minor" medications.

Over the counter medications CAN
interfere with the prescription medications
by causing adverse reaction or reduction
in its effectiveness. That's why it's very
important to Talk to your Doc!

And didn't you post somewhere that you're
battling with a cold? If so, that can be an
added insult as well!

(((((((( hugs ))))))))

Paging RanMan.... He's posted several times about the long term effects of Dilantin. I remember when this forum first started, he posted a long list of long term effects of Dilantin though I think he has changed his mind more recently that some of those were due to other factors. He did mention persistent balance/coordination problems as one of the problems.

With the current medication cocktail, I am not allowed any OTC medications or suppliments. But I am inclined to think it is more or less residual effects of the dilantin. The dizzyness has never left me and I didn't start the current meds until March of this year.

As for the cold, it is now going into round 4. Just as I am almost over it, I'm slammed with it again. I need to haul my ass to my PC and get some antibiotics and a chest x-ray. When I have the time, they have no appointments. GRRRRR!!!! :mad:

Donna I am using the verseo patch on my feet to help clean my system out. Has the dr
said you couldn't use that?????? I find it really helps after the meds collecting in my body. Talk to the Dr about it .

Remember I sent you the email advertising it
www.verseo.com

Wishing you the best of health.

the verseo patch is good for cleaning your organs and for pain in the joints. I use it regulary.

((((((hugs)))))))
Riva

I don't see him until next month (every 3-4 months and he's office is a HARD place to get appointments) Oh well, I just crawled out of bed and want to get bad in but I have things to do.

Back
Top Bottom