Do you find the term 'epileptic' insulting?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

kirsten

Account Closed
Inactive
Reaction score
Many,many years back, I was doing some work for my local epilepsy foundation and used the term 'epileptic' with the editor. He very firmly told me that we are not 'epileptic,' we 'have epilepsy,' because epilepsy was not the sum total of who we are. At the time, I thought he was being pretty silly and that we use language that's easiest to say. We needn't be so sensitive.

These days, though, when someone without epilepsy calls us 'epileptics' I do find myself feeling put out. I'm not only an 'epileptic' but a daughter, a writer, a friend, a reader, a fan of good art...

And when someone has flu, we don't call them a 'fluetic.' When they have cancer, we don't call them a 'cancerian.' We say that person has flu or that person has cancer. So why should we be any different? Thinking back, I guess I should have made this a poll question. Anyway, there it is--how do you feel about being called 'an epileptic?'

I dislike the term more all the time. Not sure why, but probably because of the (lessening!) stigma attached to the people who were described by that word. I prefer to say I have epilepsy. I have never said I'm epileptic.
As for other diseases, we still say that someone is diabetic, but I don't think diabetes really ever had the stigma that E had (and has, to a degree). Other -ic disorders/conditions are lunatic and alcoholic. Can y'all think of any others?

Carry on!

Last edited:
The only thing I find "insulting" is the perversion of one's integrity

Last edited:
nah, the english language is horrific, and their is no reason real reason to be worried about things people say.

nah, the english language is horrific, and their is no reason real reason to be worried about things people say.

:D

35302437.jpg

Last edited:
Doesn't bother me any because it is a part of who I am. There's more parts of course, but does the word bother me? Nope.

Do you find the word epileptic insulting?

I don't like the word epileptic.I've never liked it.
I once told a doctor I didn't like it and he said what should I use? I said I have a seizure disorder.
My friends know I don't like the word and don't call me one.

"Do you find the term 'epileptic' insulting?"

For me it is not so much the term others use, but I do worry what people are thinking and what they actually will do when I have a seizure in front of them.

This has been discussed here on CWE in the past and there are quite a few differences of opinions. IMO, I don't like being called an epileptic either. And Arnie, FYI, I am a person who suffers from diabetes, although the majority of times folks do refer to a person with diabetes as a diabetic. Maybe there isn't the same stigma with diabetes as with epilepsy, even so, I am NOT an epileptic nor a diabetic. I am a person first who happens to suffer from a epilepsy, diabetes and a multitude of different illnesses, sometimes too many to mention. Folks don't get it anyway.

I do think the term can be misused to reductively label or stigmatize people with epilepsy, and it's not one I use. I've notice dthat these days, whenever an athlete or celeb has a seizure, the "e-word" is never used at all. They've just had a seizure or two...

More debate on this topic from the CWE archives:
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/offended-epileptics-2142/

We use language semantics all the time. Take, as an example, how many of us don't say, "Please pass the salt," because it sounds like a demand. Instead,we might say something along the lines of, "Would you mind passing the salt," or, "I'd be grateful if you passed the salt." We soften the things we say so that they're more diplomatic, less demanding, kinder....I think semantics matter when it comes to building relationships and I think it's more respectful to use the words 'epilepsy sufferer' rather than epileptic. But I also think that part of it is about the stigma, as Arnie said. Funny enough, when another epilepsy patient is using the term 'epileptic' I don't mind at all. It's only when others use it that I shrink inside. I wouldn't call someone a diabetic, and I wouldn't call someone an alcoholic or an addict unless they self identified as such. On the other hand, I've no issue with 'epileptic seizure.' That isn't a label. It's used for clarity, because there are all kinds of reasons people have seizures.

On the other hand, I've no issue with 'epileptic seizure.' That isn't a label. It's used for clarity, because there are all kinds of reasons people have seizures.

Yes, there are. I have had a diabetic seizure, too.

I just don't like hearing "epileptics". Either way, improper use of language overall doesn't bother me. I'm no good with language and 'Merican is a language of its own.

I haven't had seizures long enough to have too much of a negative connotation to the word; not many people even know I have seizures because there has been no need for them to know and those that do know have not ever labeled me, at least not to my face.
But I do know exactly what everyone means by be put off by a certain label being used. I was born with a hearing loss, and I hate being called "hard of hearing". It makes me feel like I am 90 years old, bent over and walking with a cane. If anyone happens to identify me by the fact that I have a hearing loss, I'd much prefer they use the term "hearing impaired" or "she has a hearing loss".

I've never had a problem with the term but I've never thought about it, either. I don't think we at the UT Association use it often but I'm going to go back to review some stuff. This is something I need to know, thank you.

Last edited:
I just don't like hearing "epileptics". Either way, improper use of language overall doesn't bother me. I'm no good with language and 'Merican is a language of its own.

I've studied languages a lot (I speak four besides English), and semantics and the connotations of language have been a big part of that study. It matters way more than most people realize how language is used and how much our thoughts, feelings and perceptions are intertwined with what words we choose. It's also important to be aware of the word choices we use in speaking with different people or groups of people. The goal of language should always be clear communication. We all speak differently to our friends and co-workers than to our bosses or priests or the cop who has just pulled us over for going too fast. With written communication we have to be even more careful because there are no non-verbal cues to help guide our word choices and the reactions of our listeners.

yes, not a word i use or respect and make it clear to all of those i talk to about epilepsy. it is insulting but majority of why i feel this way is that it's incorrect. aka don't call someone something they're not. i'm not epileptic i'm a normal working woman who has seizures due to epilepsy.
it is an extremely old word that doesn't belong in today's society, and it's sad how each country treats it different. in some 'epileptic' is THE word when talking about epilepsy, in some it's neutral if you use it or not, and in some it's almost 'banned.' would be nice out of respect for a disease as well as for those who endure it for a united medical front across the globe - ONE reference and it's called 'having epilepsy.'

epilepsy is SOMETHING WE HAVE, not SOMETHING WE ARE.

Last edited:
This type of disrespect happens not only to those of who have epilepsy but to those of us here who have bipolar too. I tried to explain this to Mr. E in his OOPs. thread below but was made fun of. I have bipolar too. Just because I do, does not make me like all others who do. However there is a stigma among all of us which he made. Not right! I am not Bipolar. I have bipolar!

Back
Top Bottom