Seizures caused by Low Blood Sugar

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

ok my turn. it is more then posible to have both low blood sugar and epileptic seizures. yes some seizure can be from low blood sugar but they are diffrent then other kinds. amd if your seizure prone even slightest drop in your normal blood sugar can lower thresh hold. robin i'm glad ya were able to fimd way to help your daughter however ya dont want to give any one in seizure anything because they can choke. and for who ever thought they had mis diagnios maybe it was just incomplete its more then fesable that you have both. thats what i have to say

I hear what you're saying and to some degree agree with you. Yet, when you have seizures with either no known cause or genetic link, there's got to be another reason. May you still be labeled by doctors as one having "Epilepsy"---probably, but it's just a word.

Being proactive with your health is not only great for your mind but also your spirit. I'm certainly not saying to go off all meds and live au natural, but I am saying that there is a lot of research out there to support the fact that seizures are caused by many things---most of which doctors don't know. Yet, if you can find a way to do your own research on yourself (using a journal and good food choices)---you may find that you have discovered more than the doctor that only sees you sporadically.---LMT

I find the healthier choice worth the work involved too.

Majormama- Epileptic seizures are caused by something. I know there are some that are caused by brain trauma, tumors, etc that simply can not be reversed.
However... there is an underlying CAUSE to the remaining lucky ones with seizure disorders.

Many don't want to bother with the route that I, LuvMyTwins, and others are taking. It is far too complicated for them to attempt it. They trust their doctor to be telling them the truth, and they follow the advice.

For me, that simply was not an option. I was getting conflicting advice and ideas that went against my understanding of what HEALTH is. My daughter was fine for 14 yrs and then began having neurological problems. Something caused this to happen. I wanted to find out. Most likely it began slowly occuring years ago, with an inadequate diet, for someone as active as she is. So that is how I am searching for answers and came up with many fingers pointing to low blood sugar.

This is still only a label, and there is a cause to this as well. I believe very strongly that it is still nutrition related, and perhaps an intestinal tract that was not healthy. The good nutritional choices we have been making for over a year now are healing her system. I do hope her liver is now better able to handle the toxins and sugars. It is a slow healing process, but as LMT suggests, it is worth all the energy it tqkes to do so.

Last edited:
Many of my "Big" seizures happened after drinking Coke or a Starbuck's Frappicino. I thought it was the caffeine. Now I am thinking it was the sugar in the drinks crashing my blood sugar level. I was feeling the symptoms of low or high blood sugar lately being tired for no reason and having trouble sleeping. I realized I am probably pre-diabetic. I am only 5'10 and 188! I decided to start eating healthy and eating more fruits and vegetables. I also am eating and drinking a lot less sugar. I found out apple juice and orange juice are perfectly safe to drink without making your blood sugar crash. Check out this cool website where you can enter any food and it will tell you it's Glycemic Index rating.

http://www.glycemicindex.com/

It is my understanding that fruit juices turn straight to sugar in the system. I wouldn't hold the belief that they are "safe" if you are working to balance blood sugar. In fact Rebecca's nutritionist asked her to drink fresh fruit smoothies rather than fruit juice. At the least they should be eliminated for about 3 weeks, and can be added back in to the diet in moderation

In the beginning it is a good idea to eliminate fruit for a period of time except for lemons and limes. Most sites I have read seem to say you can introduce fruit back in after a period of about three weeks.

It is also a good idea to support your adrenal glands. With hypoglycemia the adrenals are under active, and are unable to raise the blood sugar level sufficiently.
Symptoms:
irritability
depression
insomnia
craves sweets
mental confusion
lack of concentration
constant worrying
forgetfulness
exhaustion
crying spells
dizziness
fatigue
phobias
nightmares
headaches
nervousness
indecisiveness

Following a diet high in complex carbohydrates and moderately high in protein and fats, is essential to first controlling and then treatment of hypoglycemia. All simple carbohydrates (sugars in the form of sugar, honey, sweeteners, molasses, pure maple syrup, dextrose, fructose, glucose, lactose, sucrose, maltose, turbinado and corn syrup) must be avoided altogether.

Also be careful of potato, white rice, shell beans, sweet potatoes and yams. For severe cases they should be avoided for 2-3 wks

It is my understanding that fruit juices turn straight to sugar in the system.

Yes, that is why it is some of us with Type 1 diabetes only use fruit juices as a quick sugar food when our blood sugar levels fall quickly.

What is happening is that we are confused by the words used with this disorder. We are told that we are dealing with a disease called "Epilepsy", when what we really have are seizures of unknown reasons ...

Robin, this definition should be given to every patient and caregiver upon "diagnosis" of Epilepsy.

Thanks - it was a huge eye opener to me when I finally began to understand this.

I've just been reading this & now I think my seizure was caused by a combination of low blood sugar & stress. The ER doctors said my blood sugar was really low. I had been stressed out all day because I had to go out of town & leave my daughter on a day when we were supposed to have severe weather. It stressed me out & I didn't eat anything. I had the seizure later in the afternoon. I've been trying to figure out what happened.

Back
Top Bottom